Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Animation



At first light this morning, two small Goldfinch peck at an icy birdbath, reminding me to take out some hot water.  The water I pour from the coffeepot melts enough ice to give me a hand hold, and I loosen some chunks, splashing cold water on my jeans.  The sun will have to melt the rest.  I go inside, and birds return quickly, rewarding my efforts. I mix up my customary breakfast of Grapenuts, granola and fruit, and add the soy milk, picking up the binoculars to study the birds while the milk soaks in.  Three bluebirds perch on the edge of the birdbath, drinking deeply, lifting their heads in praise with each swallow.  They are replaced by a young squirrel who shakes off its paw like a cat when it touches the water.  From my vantage point at the kitchen sink, the water in the birdbath reflects the sky, and the treetops, motionless in the morning air. Birds animate the scene, flying, hopping, and drinking their fill.

This is pure speculation, but in the Genesis account of creation, I envision the landscape as being somewhat still on the first four days.  I'm sure the water moved, and the sun and moon, but possibly nothing so dramatic as the 5th day, when
God spoke: "Swarm, Ocean, with fish and all sea life!
      Birds, fly through the sky over Earth!"
   God created the huge whales,
      all the swarm of life in the waters,
   And every kind and species of flying birds.
      God saw that it was good. 
I glance back at the birdbath, where a flicker has landed, wearing it's black breakfast bib. It drinks its fill before flying away with strong, undulating strokes.  The words of our Maker are confirmed in my heart; it is very good.