Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Gone Fishin'





Don came home early from work yesterday so he could go fishing, and since there was too much on my desk to get finished anyway, I decided to go with him. I've never exactly taken to fishing. Unlike me, Don, who is a true fisherman, says every time he throws out the line, he's expecting to catch something. Go figure.

But fishing is a good excuse to be on the water, and it was a beautiful day for that. The only sounds were distant cows and crows, the zing of the line released from the rod, the "plop" of the lure hitting the surface of the lake, and the steady rhythmic sound of water lapping against the shore and the side of the boat.

On this trip, despite Don's expectations, we didn't come home with any fish for the pan, but what we did find was even better. 
"Many men go fishing all of their lives
 without knowing it is not fish they are after."
-Henry David Thoreau


17 comments:

Jodi said...

My husband and I spent our dating years fresh-water fishing, and even after the first baby, we kept on with his play yard in a shady spot next to the lake. I miss those days.

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

Nice shots.

Regards and best wishes

Nadege, said...

Never got into the art of fishing...I've been told it can be very relaxing. Nice shots.

*Manja* said...

KLASSE!
LG,*Manja*

lisa said...

What a beautiful image Connie, and I am glad you went!
Like you, I am not very into fishing (okay, not at all!!!), but my husband is VERY much into it, and every time I go along I take my camera, and usually come home with my favorite "catch," a decent photograph or two!

Thank you so much for sharing with us this week at The Creative Exchange.

Have a wonderful day!

lisa.

Deanna said...

I am not a fisherman either, but I sure could hear those waves lapping against the shore. Wonderful afternoon.

hannah said...

I remember those sounds so well...
Satisfying outing, first under the Pisces sign? {after February 18th].

Pat said...

Just being on the water is so relaxing. I love the Thoreau quote.

Miriam said...

Fabulous colours in the water. I never got the hang of fishing either!

Chic Homeschool Mama said...

What a beautiful sight!

Marcie said...

What beautiful colors in these images. Love how you captured the heron in flight. And there is something so very meditative and quiet about the simplicity of fishing. I know why people love it!

Lisa said...

I'd go *fishing* with my camera over a rod and reel! The color of the water pops right out of the photo. Fabulous shot. And I like your perspective on too much work on the desk! :-)

I have a little something for you at my place. You certainly deserve it. Hope you have an enjoyable weekend.

Horst in Edmonton said...

Hi Grace, as to your question on my blog. Do you have any of the Adobe Photoshop CS programs, there are 5 so far. If you don't have one then it is no use asking what the attachment is. Otherwise if you do, then you will have to search the net for it like I did. I'm not sure if it is still available as the company that created it went bankrupt.

Horst in Edmonton said...

I'll give you a hint, Search for a painting affect for Photoshop CS on Google.

Horst in Edmonton said...

Do you have an e-mail address.

Horst in Edmonton said...

Hey Connie, here is my email "hr52can@gmail.com.

deb duty said...

Beautiful photo! Your description makes fishing sound like so much fun!