Saturday, June 7, 2014

Thunder





After a long cold winter, the earth has heaved a sigh of relief, 
its warm breath moistening the air and spurring new growth. 


Clouds over Bull Shoals Lake at Theodosia, Missouri


In the afternoons, thunderheads have been sprouting against blue skies, promising rain and delivering little, though showers poured down all around us. But this morning, a storm kicked off with Goliath's bowling ball bouncing on the roof, followed by raging wind and rain. 

I love Midwest thunderstorms; they always sound like they mean business. Growing up in the Northwest, most of the thunder I remember was distant and didn't send dogs slinking under the bed. 

I was in my twenties the autumn I moved from Oregon to Kansas City. Dad had recounted with fondness the storms of his youth in Illinois, and I waited through a bitter winter before experiencing my first Midwest spring storm. Thunder jolted me awake in the middle of the night, and deciding to get all I could out of the show, I padded into the tiny apartment kitchen and popped some popcorn. 




Back in the bedroom, I sat on the floor near the sliding glass doors, my neck craned, and watched in wonder as lightning split the sky, and the heavens roared. It was spectacular, everything I had hoped for.

I will never tire of the marvel thunder and lightning, or of the reminder that the One who made the storm is the One who loves us more than we can comprehend.

Who can understand how He spreads out the clouds,
how He thunders from His pavilion?

Job 36:19 


For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son...  
John 3:16 





Check out more sky images at the Skywatch site!

Also linking with Mandarin Orange Monday
and Weekly Top Shot




24 comments:

*Manja* said...

....sehr interessant!
Lieben Gruß,*Manja*

Ela said...

Wow ! What amazing pictures !
The first picture of butterflies is wonderful!

Sharon said...

Thanks for sharing these incredible photos with us! I too, love a roaring thunder storm; the power and display always leave me speechless.

Willow said...

What gorgeous , absolutely beautiful shots and thoughts you have shared . Thank you !

bailey-road.com said...

Spectacular skies.

Brian King said...

Those are fantastic cloud formations! Wow!

S. Etole said...

Very impressive images.

Felicia said...

LOVE your captures.....so beautiful and I enjoy your writing. I not very wordy but you write so beautifully.

Karen said...

Stunning captures-WOW!

Sandra said...

That last capture of the sky with rolling clouds is just wonderful - the colours, the shapes and sheer harmony of it all! I love the surface of the water on the second image and how those clouds 'which mean business' are gathering. In a more peaceful moment, the gathering of butterflies is like a poem!

bettyl-NZ said...

There is so much created beauty in our world! I find all kinds of weather quite fascinating. Your photos are awesome.

pattisjarrett said...

Your flowers and butterflies are beautiful. Gorgeous sky photos, too. If I'd smelled your popcorn, I'd have popped on over to your house! ;)

Lisa Gordon said...

What a wonderful memory, Connie!

As a very young child, I remember being so afraid of thunderstorms. Then my favorite aunt told me that it was nothing to be afraid of. That is was simply angels bowling in Heaven. I was never afraid again, and I absolutely love thunderstorms.

Ana Mínguez Corella said...

Hi friend!!! beautiful shots.. Love it.. :-)))

Christian Weiß said...

Great clouds, very beautiful photos.

ladyfi said...

Wow - how gorgeous and dramatic!

Mary Cromer said...

So many wondrous expressions to use, and yet WOW God, is all I can think of right now!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

WOW!!! Some of the most dramatic and beautiful skies I've ever seen.

Arija said...

Wonderful sky and cloud shots Grace and what a contrast to the butterflies!

Stephanie said...

Such amazing shots of your sky and love the flower shot in the first image.

janiceadcock said...

Wonderful shots. And we had several dogs shake us awake in the middle of the night during Missouri storms!

Arlynda Lea Beuterbaugh said...

"Ozark Grace" has been included in my Arlynda Lea's Sites to See #4. I hope this helps to call attention to your efforts.

http://arlyndalea.blogspot.com/2014/06/arlynda-leas-sites-to-see-4.html

Jennifer Richardson said...

Oh Connie, this takes my breath away! (and then gives it back
deeper and sweeter).
Thanks for sharing a generous piece of your glorious sky,
Jennifer

Ginney Camden said...

This was such a beautiful post. And the pictures were lovely.