Monday, November 1, 2010

Light and Shadow





In the chill morning air, Barley and I head for the hollow.  Along the trail, most of the trees, still in the shadows, dangle their drab leaves like discarded remnants.  Near the creek bed, now devoid of water, Winterberry trees already display their Christmas finery. Their lavish crop, ready for harvest, attracts small birds, who wait in the limbs overhead for us to pass.  Barley's attention is riveted by some new smell on the trail, and he gives it his full attention while I click a few shots with my Nikon.  



On our return, a brilliant wild Red Maple tree west of the trail, 
now backlit by the rising sun, catches my eye.  
The same tree, not long before, had gone unnoticed.  


What a difference the light makes.




Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow.
-Helen Keller

I have come as Light into the world, 
so that everyone who believes in Me will not remain in darkness.
-Jesus