Saturday, February 26, 2011

Cody's Prayer




Years ago, at the end of the sermon in our small country church, the pastor called on one of the youngest in our group to pray. Cody was only 4 at the time, and he walked to the front, his face serious, and bowed his head.  "Dear God," he prayed, "thank You that we can come to church and learn about You and Your only forgotten Son, Jesus."

I smiled to myself, thinking that he had misunderstood the familiar verse, John 3:16.  Cody, however, knew exactly what he meant to say. He continued, "and I pray for all those people that have forgotten You, that we can do something to help them come to Jesus."

Time has erased from my mind any remnant of that day's sermon, but it will be a long time before I forget the sermon in the prayer of one small boy.

For God so loved the world, 
that He gave His only begotten Son, 
that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, 
but have everlasting life.   
John 3:16 

Photo from Bigstock