Saturday, April 2, 2011

Battling the Window




Yesterday Don was showing houses to an engaging family, and I joined them for lunch at Cookies, a local restaurant. We always enjoy eating there. Besides having very good food, Cookies is like the local version of Cheers; it's a place where everybody knows your name.  

After lunch, Don went back to work and I returned home. When I opened the front door, Barley greeted me, and he seemed a little nervous. Then I heard some thumping sounds coming from downstairs, so I went down to investigate. Barley stayed behind me in case it was dangerous. I followed the sounds to the spare room, and was met by a strange sight. Just outside, a large turkey gobbler was banging away at the window. Apparently, he wanted to do battle with his reflection, and he must have been quite puzzled that his opponent wouldn't give him a fair fight.




Wild turkeys have sharp eyesight, and they frequently react to the slightest movement we make indoors, even from a distance, but this warrior was so focused on his fight that he didn't even seem to notice me. I suppose that's what emboldened me to go outside and try to sneak up on him for a better picture. When I rounded the corner of the house, he ran away. No surprise. Greed is never pretty.