Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Country Music


It's only February, and already, the air is filled with music.



Flocks of robins have been here for over a week now. 
 They settle on the birdbaths  in the mornings...





...and perch on the supplejack.





  The trees and sky overhead are alive with their flights.

Winterberry trees, above the edges of the lake,
have been almost stripped of their shiny red berries,
and in the woods, the cedar berries are nearly gone.

In exchange for this food, these birds enrich everyone's lives with their melodies.



Tufted Titmouse




























Robins aren't the only birds singing just now, but I think they started it,
and the others have been emboldened by their example.

At night, coyotes sing a varied repertoire.
Soon, the screech owls will join them with their eerie music,
as they search for their mates.

Last night, as I walked toward the pond, I heard a solo peep from a spring peeper,
one of those small vocal tree frogs, and then an unmistakeable trill.
A second frog backed up the virtuoso, and then another joined in,
before the full chorus saturated the night air.

When I first moved to this quiet place from the city, I thought I would miss the concerts.

Little did I know.




Linking with
Wild Bird Wednesday.




24 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

i heard the spring peepers two nights already in january. crazy... :)

Jeanne said...

Lovely shots of the robins, and it is looking like we are going to have an early spring here too! Looking forward to it!

Phyllis Oller said...

beautiful blog! I believe what I dislike most about winter{besides being so cold!} is how silent it is.I agree with you,wildlife have begun to get awake & sing.
Great photos of the robins,hope some are headed here to Pa.soon! I have 1 who stayed all winter,I imagine he was too old to make the flight,phyllis

Carole M. said...

I adore the robins; your photographs are beautiful

Lisa Gordon said...

There is nothing quite like this concert!
These photographs are wonderful, Connie.

Neil said...

Beautiful photos.

Brian King said...

Beautiful photos, Connie! The Titmouse shot is wonderful!

Kia said...

Wonderful shots, Connie! The Tufted Titmouse is such a gorgeous wee bird. :)

Jen said...

That is a cute little titmouse. Great photos.

pens and needles said...

The robins have hung around all winter, for the first time I can remember. They've been regulars at our birdbath. Love the sweet little titmouse -- your pictures are just wonderful, as always.

Leave It To Davis said...

Beautiful pictures! I love the sounds of spring. The one sound I don't like to hear though is the buzz of a mosquito. I actually saw one yesterday trying to get inside where I work. It's too early for them!!!

Sandra said...

Gorgeous shots, Connie and with my little favourite Tufted Titmouse! I just love it when the birds start their chorus - even though we can't visibly see many signs of spring ourselves. The days are getting longer and the birds react to this.

S. Etole said...

These are so promising. It is still snowing here.

eileeninmd said...

Pretty shots of the robins. And I love the cute Titmouse. Great birds!

Gemma Wiseman said...

Beautiful variety of little ones featured here! Especially love the magic of the first photo and the little parted beak in the last photo!

Hanne Bente said...

Lovely pictures:) Hanne Bente

Mary Howell Cromer said...

They are so beautiful and special and you got some very pretty images to share~

Lea said...

We say Robins are the first sign of Spring, and I saw one Monday!
Your photos are beautiful!
Lea
Lea's Menagerie

Ana Mínguez Corella said...

Lovely bird... Great pictures.. Cheers!!..

Madge Bloom said...

I SO love it when the birds begin to fill the air with songs again... the best country music there is!

Marco Alpha said...

Hello Connie,
Very wonderful shots of these beautiful birds.
It's so special because I've never seen them before. Wonderful!!

Many greetings,
Marco

Kerri said...

Our birds have been singing their spring songs ..... lovely music.

Beautiful captures!

Lui said...

Ahhh what lovely stories Connie!
And those images are quite a feast for the eyes and my weary soul!

Jennifer Richardson said...

you have wonderful ears
to hear, friend:)
the robins are dancing all over
the yard, here.
i love it when they come around
a little early:)
-Jennifer