Saturday, June 19, 2010

Chasing Rainbows


I'm not a storm chaser, but I do occasionally chase rainbows.  I hadn't anticipated a chase this morning.  Don was out early fishing with a friend, and when I popped out of bed and checked the sky it looked like there might be a good sunrise.  I dressed hurriedly, scrambled to get Barley in the car and load up my camera and tripod, and drove to the other side of the lake.  The wind was out of the north, and a mass of dark, angry clouds filled the southern sky.  To the east, a sliver of sky above the horizon was cloudless, so Barley and I got out of the car and waited.  Waves lapped at our feet as we walked along the water's edge, and a spattering of raindrops blew in our faces.  The beautiful sunrise I had hoped for didn't materialize, but a faint rainbow appeared, so it was back across the bridge to catch a better view of the rainbow.  As it turned out, it wasn't the most spectacular one I've ever seen, but every rainbow is a gift, and every rainbow holds a promise. 

And God said, 
"This is the sign of the covenant I am making 
between me and you and every living creature with you, 
a covenant for all generations to come:  
I have set my rainbow in the clouds, 
and it will be the sign of the covenant 
between me and the earth.  
Never again will the waters become a flood 
to destroy all life.
Genesis 9:12,13