Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Goldfinch Rescue


Goldfinches have been sharing their airspace with robins lately,
and I mistakenly surmised in my last post that all the robins were already south of us.
But yesterday, from a hilltop tree stand near here, Don watched thousands pass over him, and today, there were hundreds more.




























It may have been all that commotion that caused this small goldfinch to crash into the windows the other day.  When I first saw her, she was on the ground, belly up and breathing hard.  I scooped her up and turned her over in my hand; her tiny claws clung to my fingers, which seemed like a good sign.  As I stroked her feathers gently, and sang about her Heavenly Father's care, she rallied, so I moved her to a nearby twig.

She seemed grateful for the attention, and in return, stayed around and let me take a few pictures. Then, just before dark, she flew away, hopefully to live happily ever after with a good story to pass on to her grandchildren.







For those of you interested in textures, I used the following from Leslie Nicole
Rabelias at 50%, Sepia at 22%, and ancien at 100%.



19 comments:

Torunn said...

So sweet and nice with a beautiful texture.

lisa said...

What a precious little one Connie, and I am so glad you were there to pick him up when he went down. This is such a beautiful photograph, and I am sure, that he will be fine, in large part, thanks to you.

Thank you so much for sharing at The Creative Exchange this week.

Have a great evening!

lisa.

missing moments said...

An awesome photo! We had a little junco crash into our french doors. We cradled him for several minutes but he did not stir. And unfortunately, he never recovered.

DebC said...

Love your photo and processing.
Beautiful story to go with the photo.
Memorable.
Thank you.

Seraphina´s Phantasie said...

Just wonderful. Amazing texture work and a special bird.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Connie, you did the right thing, for they get cold very quickly and holding it gently in the palm of your hand, helped it to recover. I have done this on various occasions and it just seems so much like touching the hand of God~ Beautiful image too~

Marcie said...

What a beauty!! And - I love the processing!

pens and needles said...

How sweet, Connie, that you were able to be that little bird's guardian angel. And...so nice to see you yesterday! (Don, too!) I was so scrunched into that narrow booth that I could hardly think, much less talk, but it was also nice to meet your friend, Becky. We talked a little more after you left. So nice that people will come in and revive old structures...I hate seeing places run down and am so thankful when someone fixes up an old place (recycles) rather than just building something new.

S. Etole said...

All the finches have disappeared from here. I hope some purple finches will visit on occasion this winter.

Jennifer Richardson said...

soft sweet bravo to dear gentle you:)
-Jennifer

Tricia @ Bluff Area Daily said...

oh my goodness, Connie, that's a precious capture, & the texture looks perfect! really nice image =)

Linda Trine said...

Love this puffy little goldfinch. I'm so happy you were able to save her! I'm looking forward to the arrival of these birds around here. We only see them in winter.

Pat said...

What a wonderful story to go with your photo of this sweet little Goldfinch!

Shanna said...

I don't love bird photos because I have a bird phobia but if I did like birds....this is a great photo!

Henrietta said...

Beautiful processing, love the background colors,gorgeous.
Have a nice weekend.

jess said...

Such a great story to go with beautiful photos.

Jess x

Lisa said...

Oh Connie, this brought a tear to my eye. The photo is fabulous, but your caring actions for these little creatures speaks volumes. My birds are already gorging themselves at the feeders in my yard. I hope to catch some good shots soon.

Jacqueline @ Deeprootsathome.com said...

Oh, Connie, I love the little goldfinch! I am so thankful that she strengthened as you sang of the Father's love!!! What a beautiful thing to be able to hold a little, fragile bird in your hand and feel its tiny heartbeat!

Evelyn S. said...

Touching story of the little goldfinch. Once in awhile, one hits my window and I always look to see if it has managed to stay off the ground. They are such beautiful little birds, aren't they?