Friday, March 23, 2012

Wet Weather Creek


It's been a rainy week, 
culminating last night in lightning and bowling ball thunder, 
and rivers of rain rolling from the sky.

In the middle of the night, I reached down to the side of the bed, 
and sure enough, there was Barley, tucked close, in his place of shelter,






This morning we walked to the hollow, and before we were half way down,
 we could hear the sound of water.  
Trickles along the path flowed into small streams and waterfalls, 
dripping off mossy rocks, and singing as they went.  
They gathered in the bottom for a chorus of praise.











In a calm pool in the bend of the creek, 
Barley lowered himself slowly into the chilly water and took a drink.



Rue Amemone


On the way back, we passed wildflowers, those jewels of the woods, 
rue anemone, wild sweet William, violet wood sorrel.



Violet Wood Sorrel


All of this is fleeting--the wet weather creek, the fading flowers--
even Barley's shelter in the storm.
  
But today I'm grateful for something permanent--
the shelter that is always available in Jesus, 
and His living water, that never fails to flow.























For He will conceal me in His shelter in the day of adversity;

He will hide me under the cover of His tent;

He will set me high on a rock.

Psalm 27:5





Whoever is thirsty, let him come;

and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life.

Revelation 22:17








22 comments:

HansHB said...

lovely post, - a lot of very good photos!
I wish you a nice weekend!

Barb said...

My word! it looks as though you live in Heaven itself! I'm floored by your beautiful photos!

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Oh I would so love some Rue Amemone, it is so lovely!!!what a glorious image you got too! Barley takes shelter the very same place that our Meaka does during a storm, right along side my bed, with head tucked as far under as she can push herself. The water scenes are beautiful, such a nice glow upon the water. Have a happy weekend Connie~

Gillian Olson said...

A great tale, your description of the water flowing is beautiful, as are the small flowers you saw along the way. Thanks, enjoyed my visit.

Pat said...

What a beautiful post!

Jennifer Richardson said...

ohhhh, sweet Barley:)
I love, love the running water
and your wet weather creek shots
and the shelter of Love
that cradles all of that beauty
in tender protective arms
just sort of makes my heart melt
as I wander along letting your
post nourish my heart:)
Oh how I thank you that,
Jennifer

Nadege, said...

Beautiful water shots. The little wild flowers are gorgeous.

Zinnia said...

I love all these watershots, especially the second one with the great depth of field and the transparency of the water.
Adorable wild flowers too - we are getting some too now.
Have a beautiful weekend!

hannah said...

What a precious post, Connie. And that waterfall image is a triumph!
Your dog looks as if to say:"Is this really OK?"
Our Rue Anemone is pure white. If I ever found a pink one, I would be beside myself with joy :-)

eileeninmd said...

What a beautiful place for a walk. The water shots are beautiful and I love your dog Barley! Wonderful post and words.

TexWisGirl said...

love your sweet pup! such gorgeous creeks and water falls.

Wanda..plain~N~simple said...

It amazes me how such tiny flowers, when seen upclose, radiate such magnificent beauty, they certainly are jewels. The Violet Wood Sorrel even gave us an added bonus with the bee! Beautiful photos Connie.

mick said...

Great photos and description of the water collecting and flowing into the river.

Ruth said...

Beautiful Barley :) a wonderful place for a walk.

Stewart M said...

Hi there - really like that first shot of the little waterfall. Very nice image.

Stewart M - Australia

Marcie said...

Gorgeous spring images. Love the color!

Andrew said...

Wonderful images... your landscape looks so beautiful.

Madge Bloom said...

Gorgeous! Love you pup in the stream...

lisa said...

This must have been a fantastic walk Connie, and Barley looks so happy in the water.
Thank you for taking us along with you!

Pieces of Sunshine said...

Beautiful captures Connie. What lens did yo use for the two floor photos? They are lovely.

Connie Smiley said...

These 2 shots were taken with the lens that usually accompanies me on my walks--the versatile Nikon 18-200mm lens.

Jacqueline @ Deeprootsathome.com said...

Dear Connie, I so love to visit your delightful and joy-filled blog! you bring the LORD a bit closer!! Love to you, dear friend :) Love the rue anemone! How do you get the background to fade out??