Saturday, June 2, 2012

A Sea of Blueberries





Friday morning two friends and I made our way to Eckart's Blueberry Farm in Dora, Missouri. After a string of hot, dry days here, the TV weatherman said the jet stream was bringing in a batch of cool air straight from Oregon, and he was right. Under overcast skies, we were layered up; I wore a jacket over two shirts--unthinkable a couple of days ago.

I love this annual trec, as do my friends, and our conversation along the way was lively.  As we neared the farm, on the familiar dirt road, my mind flashed back to my childhood when excitement rose as we neared the beach.

The farm is a bit like an ocean, with those rows of blue, like the waves, stretching into the distance, and that day, I could almost smell the salt air.






The heat had ripened the berries early this year, and the farm had opened for picking on May 18th, the earliest ever. While I was following other pursuits and waiting for the perfect weather, some industrious pickers were harvesting the first fat ripe fruits, and when we got there, the bushes were no longer as heavily laden with berries. But were they delicious! Every possible bit of sweetness was concentrated in those tasty morsels. We picked to the music of mockingbirds and bobwhite quail and cardinals, all plump and satisfied from their berry breakfast, and when our buckets were full, we headed home.








We took another way back, and along the road, 
an old barn and home place stood, abandoned to the weeds...






...and an old church, abandoned to chicory and dock. 
As I stepped into the weeds, 
hundreds of young grasshoppers scattered in every direction.






The morning had been rich with beauty and friendship, laughter and conversation; 
our buckets were full,
and like the birds, we were blessed with our bounty.




Linking with Your Sunday Best.




14 comments:

Sharon K said...

We are so blessed to have such things as friends, laughter, and blueberries. Your photography is one of my blessings; the pathway photo makes me want to join you on your next berry picking day. :)

Amy Burzese said...

What a nice day. It looks like a nice rural trip that I would enjoy.

Pat said...

What a great way to spend a lovely day!

Sandra said...

What a wonderful day you had, Connie, with your friends! Going on that tree-lined dirt road and how you liken your feelings of anticipation to those you had as a child when you approached the beach!
What beautiful blueberries too. I loved all the other scenes, the first building behind the golden grasses, the abandoned church and the sweet smelling hay in the foreground and the grasshoppers getting out of your way as you walked! Beautiful river scene too.
A day to remember forever!

heyBJK said...

Wonderful photos, Gail! Love the old barn and homestead!

Jennifer Richardson said...

oh! so so beautiful and blue!
my mouth is watering
in a cool shade
of blueberry right now
and cobbler dreaming:)
so fresh, your trek
...thanks for sharing
the lovely memories,
Jenn

Lui said...

Hi Connie, I'm back!
I'm sorry to alarm you but I have been busy doing art workshops and failed to inform everyone!

I thank God for your friendship and loving concern!

Have a warm and happy week!

I loooove your berries!

Nancy Claeys said...

Connie == these images remind me of when I was a young girl in Canada and the blueberries were big and plump! Wonderful photos and I'm so happy that your shared at YSB this week! xoxo

Shannon Pate said...

That pathway is postcard material! Just picture perfect. Oh, how I wish I was there... and needing a jacket!! I think it reached 92 here today! Very beautiful photos!!

Marco Alpha said...

Hello Connie,
Wonderful to see all these delicious berries. It must be a great place to eat some of all these fruit.
I found your first shot very beautiful, it takes my eyes into the forest. Great!!

Many greetings,
Marco

S. Etole said...

Looks like a true summer outing.

Nature in the Burbs said...

Lovely. What a harvest.

lisa. said...

What a beautiful way to spend the day Connie!
I just checked our blueberries yesterday, and it looks like it's going to be a very good year for them

Sending you wishes for a wonderful day ahead!
xo.

Cherie said...

I love the first photo of the road, perfect country charm. The barns are always a favorite of mine, too!