Monday, June 25, 2012

Wings and Other Things


Pileated Woodpecker, male


It's amazing what you can see when you're not looking for something.  While sitting at my drawing board last week, I heard a faint clicking sound, and looking up, saw a pileated woodpecker clinging to the window frame about four yards away.  My first inclination was to reach for the camera behind me, but realizing that the motion would likely scare the bird, I held my breath and watched.  

The woodpecker was quite striking up close with his impressive size (about that of a crow) and vibrant plumage.  He was opening and shutting his beak, each time emitting the small clicking sound that first attracted my attention.  I had never heard this before, but I'd never been this close to one of these birds, either.  Might he be afflicted with the woodpecker version of TMJ disorder, or could he, perhaps, have just swallowed a castinette?  (Please feel free to weigh in with your best guess.)

After a few minutes on the window frame, the bird flew to a nearby tree, shimmied quickly up the trunk and into the leafy over-story, before flying out of sight.

   


Brown-headed cowbird and tufted titmouse


The thermometer reached 102˚ yesterday,
and everybody was grateful for fresh cool water in the birdbath.




Red-bellied woodpecker, male



Red-bellied woodpecker, male



Chipmunk and mourning dove



Now what was this chipmunk doing out of her cool den in this heat?  
She must have found something pretty interesting.  
Hey, maybe she'll find my lens cap!





How many are your works, O Lord!
In wisdom You made them all;
The earth is full of Your creatures.

Psalm 104:24






25 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

i love catching a view of the pileateds! cute chippy, too. we got to 103 here yesterday. *sigh*

Vita Stunder said...

Great work! :)

NatureStop said...

I love those woodpecker shots!!Colourful indeed.Have a great day!

Shantana

pens and needles said...

How neat to see a pileated up close and personal!! They are such elusive creatures. I've taken a pic or two but always from distance and usually blurry. I was watching the steady stream of visitors to the bird bath yesterday evening late and thinking how difficult it is for them in this heat. Love watching to see how each takes his drink and his bath differently. Your photos as amazing, as always, and your tie-in to scripture so perfect.

Karen said...

Connie, these are fabulous shots!

Dave said...

Nice post and very nicely finished with the cheeky chipmunk

Gary said...

Great shots, especially the Pileated!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Dina J said...

You've got some great birds there,right outside your window. Beautiful shots!

heyBJK said...

Great shots, Connie! Pileated Woodpeckers are handsome birds! I like the cowbird/titmouse face off! LOL

Adam Jones said...

I love the Woodpecker, but the chipmunk seals it for me.

mick said...

Great photos and it must have been an amazing moment to look out the window and see that bird so close.

HansHB said...

Awesome post, - perfect for WBW!

Anni said...

Awesome photos, I think I like the images you captured around the bird bath best [the reflection in the water of the red bellied 'pecker], but they're all excellent.

MERLIN FALCON

Andrew said...

What a wonderful array of wildlife you have.. fantastic images Connie.

Carole M. said...

glorious photographs Connie; I'm loving that wood-pecker

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful collection of birds! I love the Pileated, one of my favorite woodies. Great shots, thanks for sharing on WBW.

Judy said...

Awesome photo of the pileated!! Much closer than I have ever been!

Horst in Edmonton said...

Love the photos Grace. Love the first one the best.

Hanne Bente said...

Beautiful picture series you run.

Linda said...

The photos were great - but I had to laugh at the mourning dove and chipmunk photo - the dove appears very patiently waiting for her turn at whatever the chippie was looking at!

Stewart M said...

Hi there - I was fortunate to see pileated woodpecker on my last trip to the US - what a great bird. I think if I had them hanging on my window frames I get a little over excited!

Nice post.

Stewart M - Australia

Marco Alpha said...

Hey Connie,
What a good shots!! Great to see the woodpecker with his red colored head.
Sometimes I see a one in my garden, but I am always to late to photograph him.

Many greetings,
Marco

Gillian Olson said...

Beautiful bird experience and pictures. I think my favorites are the birds in and drinking from the bird bath.

Pat said...

How wonderful to see a Pileated Woodpecker! Lovely wildlife photos.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Sweet story and the Pileated is such a beauty. We have the 100 degree weather also, for a few days yet, and already miserable. I need to get another bird bath too. Hmm, if the Chippy finds the lens cap, he may decorate his den with it, if a gray Squirrel did not already take it to a dray~