Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Good Intentions


The past few days have been cooler than it's been here in weeks, and a soft breeze today feels like it blew in straight out of the sea.  Two butterflies sway with the tall white phlox, drinking the nectar.  For the first time in weeks, I feel like weeding the flowers and cleaning the house. I quell the impulse, and check on my raspberries.





























They've been struggling, poor things, in the long stretch of 100 degree days (give or take a few degrees), but now the earlier work of the bees has paid off, and a few of the brave beauties have ripened.  I pick a handful, pondering my options.  They would jazz up a fruit salad, or maybe I could put them on Don's breakfast cereal.  No sooner had this come to mind than the rationalizations set in.  "Don doesn't like raspberries as much as I do", and "I'd better taste one to see if it's good".





























I roll a red berry over on my tongue, squishing out each precious drop of juice.  It goes down easily, and I sample another.  As I consider how to use these ruby gems, I notice that the pile in my hand is becoming smaller, as are my options.  It isn't long before the handful of berries has disappeared, and with it my fleeting thoughts of generosity.

C'e sempre domani.  (There's always tomorrow.)


Linking with Rural Thursday


Textures from Bonnie at Pixel Dust Photo Art,


24 comments:

Kelly said...

Love your use of texture. Exquisite!

Jeannelle said...

I wish that weeding/cleaning breeze would hit me!

Kia said...

C'è sempre un domani... so true. Lovely images. :)

Sharon K said...

Lovely photos... and loved hearing about a moment in your day. (:

Sandra said...

I love that first shot with the bee and the lighting is so beautiful. I love that you can see the structure of the bee's wings against the light and like how you caught that little leg hanging out!
I swear raspberries taste better straight off the bush!
The raspberry that has been French kissed looks as though it has just come out of the freezer! Such lovely pale pink tones!

Sandra said...

I lovely the Italian phrase: "C'è sempre domani."
Scarlett O'Hara says it so well too at the end of "Gone with the Wind":
"After all, tomorrow is another day."!

Brian King said...

Gorgeous photos! Love the lighting!

Mary Howell Cromer said...

;') The generosity this time was in your thoughts, but then, you simply had to be honest with those thoughts, and if your husby does not like them, they were for your enjoyment, and oh the sweetness of a raspberry, they are my favorite berry fruit. Beautiful images~

Lisa Gordon said...

What a beautiful post this is Connie.
It has cooled off considerably here also, as it always does this time of year. It is most noticeable in the mornings. Lets me know that fall is not far off.

Wishing you a wonderful day!

xo.

ArtMuseDog and Carol said...

Beautiful photos ~ well done ~ (A Creative Harbor)

ps. housework is always there ~ enjoy the day

Pat said...

Lovely photos! I'll bet those berries were delicious.

Gillian Olson said...

Great pictures, raspberries seem to taste best when they are still warm from the sun.

alissa apel said...

Oh yummy!!! I love berries!

http://theapels.blogspot.com/2012/08/natures-floor.html

Kristy LifenReflection said...

too funny, surely there will be more to share soon

Nancy Claeys said...

I'm not a big fan of raspberries, but do love these images, Connie. :)

Ellie said...

These are great shots - I love the first one for all it's lovely greenery and the gorgeous light you captured. And the 2nd shot is so crisp - almost feels as if I could just pick the lovely fruit :))

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

They certainly look nice and juicy!

Madge Bloom said...

Love your shots AND I love raspberries too!

momphotographer said...

the raspberry shot is wonderful... and how could a person not like raspberries!? I LOVE them.

Candy C. said...

Great post, I can almost taste that lovely raspberry! :)

Marco Alpha said...

Hello Connie,
Great shots with a wonderful light.
The raspberries looks delicious. Mmmm,...enjoy it!!

Greetings, Marco

Ida said...

It's the thought that counts, right? - Beside's a girls got to do what a girl has to do.
Both your shots are just wonderful and I bet those berries were yummy.

Bonnie said...

Oh that raspberry!!! Your edit makes it look like it has the slightest coating of sugar - and thus all the more succulent for my sweet tooth. So pleased you shared your work with PAF.

Monica said...

Wonderful shot and editing!
:)