Thursday, September 20, 2012

Lessons From a Hummingbird





We had an unexpected guest a couple of weeks ago. Don and I were downstairs in the afternoon when we heard one of Barley's rare barks, loud and deep, and we went running up the stairs, expecting to see someone at the door. No one was there, and we forgot about it until after dinner, when Don saw the cause of Barley's alarm.

A female hummingbird was buzzing methodically back and forth in front of the high windows, as if mowing some invisible lawn; she must have flown in earlier through the front door, unnoticed, and she looked exhausted.

We opened the sliding glass door and hot air rushed in, but the little bird didn't notice that freedom was only a few feet away. The problem was, she kept flying toward the light from the high windows, and she needed to come down to get through the door.




She came down briefly, twice, perching on my shoulder, tugging my heartstrings, but flew up again before we could help her. Finally, Don grabbed the closest broom, and I held it near her, bristles up.  She quickly latched on to one of the bristles with her tiny feet and hung on while I moved the broom down gingerly until it was in front of the open door. She didn't need to think twice, but zipped out the door and into the freedom of the wild blue.

I'm trying to take a lesson from my small feathered friend-- to wait and trust, and when I need help, to take what's offered. I also need to remember, when Barley barks, it means something.


Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him;
   do not fret...

Psalm 37:7





Linking with Imperfect Prose
and Camera Critters


18 comments:

Catherine Fruisen said...

Waiting with you, Connie.

Meanwhile, so grateful that the little thing took hold of that broom.

luv,

c

Horst in Edmonton said...

Glad to here the little thing was able to receive help from you and your hubby. I hope the Hummingbird was able to recoup it's strength.

Pat said...

Good dog, Barley.

Gillian Olson said...

That is quite a tale, it is hard to know how best to help our little friends when they get stranded in the house, glad you were able to complete the rescue. Barley is one smart dog too!

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

Oh, my, nature always touches my heart--you want to just tell them the problem and that you can make it better, but you don't have the language. We've had them get disoriented under our porch and I've had to use a fly swatter to kind of push them down from the top to let them escape. Glad you helped.

S. Etole said...

Great analogy. Barley looks like such a loving dog.

Andrew said...

Wonderful..
I dream of seeing a Hummingbird one day as we don't see them here.
Barley is a real beauty.

Jennifer Richardson said...

wonderful story, Connie!
Helps me think to not exhaust myself
striving for an opening
when the broom is on the way:)
Thank God for the Barley's
in our lives:)
thanks for the sweet share,
Jennifer

TexWisGirl said...

so glad you were able to help her out!

eileeninmd said...

I am so glad you were able to help her out. And Barley was so nice to let you know you had an unexpected visitor in the house. Barley is a beautiful dog.

ladyfi said...

What a beautiful shot of the hummer... Your dog is gorgeous too.

Daniel LaFrance said...

One of life's treasured moments. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Pia said...

What a very special guest .... glad you could help out!
Both photos are wonderful!

Pieces of Sunshine said...

A perfect illustration, so easy to flap and try and work out our own solutions.

hannah said...

What a handsome companion you have there. And intelligent enough not to make a fuss, but simply call you over.

Cindee Snider Re said...

Those last lines left me in tears: "...to wait and trust, and when I need help, to take what's offered." Yes...and somehow, sometimes so difficult as I strive to do it myself, not show my need, bang my head against the glass, instead of wait and trust -- and here's the hard part -- "take what's offered," -- accept the offer of a meal, a ride for my kids, a hand with the cleaning while I heal. Thank you for words that touched deep this morning.

michelle ortega said...

Yes, Cindee, I have beat my wings against impenetrable glass as well!

Thank you, Connie, for your share and great photos amidst that commotion!

Thoughts for the day said...

Oh that dog just stole my heart... and the story is just wonderful.