Saturday, June 22, 2013

Home Depot






On clear mornings, before the heat has risen and the tasks of the day have crowded in, I like to sit on the deck and read my Bible.  It's the best way I know to start the day.  When I first go out, the yard is silent, then, little by little, the wild things pick up their normal activity, and the sounds of life return.

Lately I've had company. Here's the pattern; from the nearby hickory tree I hear the wingbeats of a bird going to and from the feeder.  I hold my breath as the sound comes closer and a tufted titmouse swoops into sight.  It flies to the table in front of me, then flits from chair to chair, cocking its head and studying me to be sure I'm not a threat.  That satisfied, the little titmouse is in the air again, and I feel its wings brush my hair.  After several false starts, it gathers courage, and sits down on my head.  Once there, there's a lot of hair arranging before little beautician flies away. 

These birds usually build nests in tree cavities; if I didn't know that, I'd think they were starting one on my head.  More likely, they're just looking for nesting material, like a local version of Home Depot, and I'm happy to fill that need, as long as they don't get carried away.

When we were kids, Mom drew heavily from a collection of adages to teach us lessons.  I'm reminded of her often repeated one about worries:

You can't keep a bird from flying over your head, 
but you can keep it from making a nest in your hair.

Don sneaked these pictures the other day from the house, and I didn't even know I was married to a paparazzi.






24 comments:

Terri said...

Aww- that's too sweet- not an every day thing to have a bird sit on your head!

bailey-road.com said...

Amazing story and pictures.

Nancy @ A Rural Journal said...

Oh my -- I didn't notice the bird until I read your post. Incredible shots.

Sharon said...

Oh! this is too funny- you, the bird, Don. When I read this I thought of Luke 12:7,24. :)

Deanna said...

Oh, don't know if I could be still if a bird was rooting around in my hair...good for you for staying so still and good for your husband for capturing this priceless moment!!

Mary Howell Cromer said...

How amazing nature can be, and glad your husby got these remarkable shots...the little fawn coming near and now this...tis a blessing, counting them one by one;')~

S. Etole said...

It looks like you have some beautiful building supplies for that little bird.

She Who Carries Camera said...

That is amazing!! I think I'd be worried about the little guy pooping on my head but I'd let him do it just to say I had a bird on my head! Great captures!

Lui said...

Oh Connie what a great shot! I am updating and featuring 'my birds' too but not as great as the one you have.

I loooooove the june 9 post. Super special. Thank you for such an inspiration.

Frank said...

Priceless images.

Sandra said...

Loved your story about you and that little titmouse! Great shots made by your husband! Such great expression as the bird lowers his tail wings for landing and then goes for it, claws outstretched!

Jodi said...

Connie, I love this. I have my quiet time on our deck, too, and the same thing would happen to me. A humming bird would visit, almost coming nose to nose with me, or should I say beak to nose. And once, a little sparrow landed on my hand. My son, who had been watching from the window, said, "What'cha doing there, Saint Francis?" Haha.

Ginney said...

That is just amazing and a beautiful way to start your day!

Neil said...

Great shots.

Margaret Adamson said...

Hi Just discovered you blog on WBW. These are amazing, priceless shots. it is as well you husband was spying on you otherwise we would never have seen them Thanks to Don. you talking about your hair made me think f me at the hairdressers yesterday and as I watched one of the girls brush up fallen hair, i wondered if I collected this next year, would the birds use it for their nests. anyone know?? That would be easy for all of us to do, if it worked! anyhow,joined you site to see what else comes close to nesting in your hair!! Margaret

Andrea said...

This is simply amazing ... the bird clearly knows that you are at peace so he is not threatened. Very special ...

Andrea @ From The Sol

Connie Smiley said...

Putting out scraps of hair for the birds is a good idea, I think. I generally put some out in the spring, when the nest building is most active, but I've been surprised to see the tufted titmice still collecting our dog's hair now every time I put it out.

1 of the Creekside Team said...

absolutely incredible! I've never seen anything like this, Connie!

Linda

ladyfi said...

Wow - amazing shots. How lovely that the bird actually lands on your head...

TexWisGirl said...

that's adorable! brave little thing!

Laura Lane said...

Absolutely amazing! What a beautiful bird and a beautiful experience.

Blessings from Harvest Lane Cottage,

Laura

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

Wonderful pictures! That little tufted titmouse looks to me to have a determined look on his face as he is flying toward your hair. I liked the adage, too.

Lisa Gordon said...

Kudos to Don!!!
I love these, Connie!

Cindy said...

These are fantastic. :)