Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Sparkles





Christmas seems to be the season of sparkles.  Years ago, when I worked at Hallmark Cards, artists would groan when an assignment came to design a card with glitter, which appeared to be, at that time, so uncool.  It's quite in vogue this year, however, and is applied generously to a wide variety of cards.  Now we find glitter everywhere, as it spreads from the cards to the table and to our hands, our clothes, to Barley's hair, and beyond.  

Don and Tava and I sat at the kitchen table the other night, and while Don engrossed us with stories from his year in Vietnam, glitter sparkled on his face.






I love those sparkles that come on the inside, too, that sparkly feeling that washes over you, sometimes when you least expect it, that says, "This is Christmas!".  

This year, those sparkles started for me when I was at my desk working and listening to James Taylor at Christmas, and they came again at the Christmas eve service at our small country church. The pastor read the familiar story from the gospel of Luke about God coming to earth in the form of a baby.  In the dim candlelight, we shared communion as a reminder of why He came, to give His life so we could fully live.





In the wee hours of Christmas morning, I got up to put our traditional stew in the crock pot. Barley came padding in softly from the bedroom, so I plugged in the Christmas tree lights and petted him for a few quiet moments while we both enjoyed the sparkles. 




The music played again, this time in my heart:

What then can I give Him, empty as I am?
If I were a shepherd I would bring a lamb;
If I were a wise man, I would do my part;
What then can I give Him?  I must give my heart.








First posted 12/25/10

19 comments:

pens and needles said...

A sparkly Merry Christmas to you, Connie!

Kerri Farley said...

A Beautiful Post! Merry Christmas!

Sandra said...

Such sweet photos and words.
Happy Christmas, Connie!
Sandra

Lui said...

Oh, thank you Connie for such a wonderful inspiring post as ever. Truly, the best gift that we can give is our self. Thank you for the gift that you are to us . . .

Mary Howell Cromer said...

A lovely post as always Connie. My husby was also in Viet Nam...1968-1969.
May your New Year be such sweet Blessings~

S. Etole said...

Hope you've had a wonderful Christmas. The photos are superb.

Kim Cunningham said...

Beautiful post! I love the sparkles of the season, too!

Deanna said...

What a sweet sparkling post, blessings to you during this holy season!!

Mitzi said...

Oh Connie, these images are so beautiful and the words are just perfect! It has been a sparkling Christmas this year and you have shared yours with us so beautifully!

Adrienne said...

Now I have them. The sparkles. Thank you...such a blessing to have them on my lunch break in my ordinary, unglittery office! {an absolute favorite song of mine too!}

Debbie said...

four, absolutely stunning images!! the ice and snow feel warm and inviting.....

and your cute little boys, both adorable!!

eileeninmd said...

Lovely images.. And Barley is a cutie!! I hope your Christmas was wonderful..Thank you for linking up to my Saturday's Critters.. Enjoy your weekend!

Wishing you all the best in 2014, and a very HAPPY & Healthy New Years!

TexWisGirl said...

sweet photos. :)

EG CameraGirl said...

Sounds like you and Barley had great Christmas spirit this year. I wish you all the best in 2014!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Lovely sparkles outdoors, including the ones on your sweet Barley.

acreativeharbor.com said...

Beautiful photos and post ~ love the sparkles!

retriever said...

Wonderfull fotos
❊ * 。❊ 。 ❊ _█_ ❊ 。 * ❊
_Π_____ (•.•) * 5☆★☆★☆
❊ /______/~\ ( ♥ ) ❊ 2014 Happy Day ❊
|田 田 |門| ( ♥ ) Happy New Year❊
•♫♥♫*♥*♪♥♫•♪*♥♫•♫♥♫*♥*♪♥♫•♪*♥•♫♥♫*♥*♪
http://blog.seniorennet.be/louisette+ facebook goldenr retriever Louisette

Pia said...

Your photos are wonderful, full of atmosphere.

Happy New Year to you!

Ginney Camden said...

I enjoyed your beautiful post.