Saturday, November 8, 2014

Buffy and Twinkle Have a New Home




Sunday evening Don and I were at the kitchen table when a loud meowing sound halted our conversation. Outside, on the windowsill over the sink, two small kittens were making their presence known.

It's heartbreaking when people won't take responsibility for an animal and drop the problem on someone else's doorstep. There are certain practical considerations for us not having a cat, the biggest one being that Don is not fond of them.

I haven't had a cat for 26 years, though we've had four well loved dogs during that time, and up to this week, I had slipped into the mode of believing that I wasn't a cat person anymore. Funny how two and a half pounds of fluff can walk into your heart and change your mind about that. Actually, five pounds, two and a half each.

Their headquarters this week was a box on the front porch, and I joined them as often as I could. The volume of their happy purrs indicated that their batteries were fully charged. Twinkle would look me straight in the eyes and let me know she appreciated being cared for. Buffy loves Barley the dog and followed him everywhere, while Barley studiously tried to avoid any contact with the sweet thing. Barley thinks one dog is all any family needs. The vote was two to one against the kittens.

I put up flyers around town, and made myself a nuisance by asking everyone I met if they'd like a kitten or two, and there were no takers. Most everyone I asked either hated cats or already had two or three of them. We were running out of options.

Late this afternoon, Don ran into a friend who said his place could use a couple of cats. We just dropped the two off at a small farm they'll share with chickens and ducks and one big dog that protects small creatures. We're confident they'll become fast friends. They're sleeping tonight in a cozy enclosure and dreaming of eating grasshoppers and digging in the garden.

I love happy endings.



Linking with Saturday's Critters


26 comments:

Sharon said...

Glad for your compassion!
I think Barley likes happy ending too. :)

pens and needles said...

Happy endings are the BEST! These two sweeties were very fortunate, but not all abandoned animals have the same fate. We've been so blessed by Lady, a dog someone dropped on us when she was pregnant. After we lost our beloved Chip, I didn't want another dog. But Lady completely captured our hearts with her humility, uncomplaining attitude and obvious intelligence. I guess ***SOMEONE*** knew we really did need another dog. I hope you aren't too lonely now that your kitties have moved to their new permanent home. You'll miss their little motors going ...

Connie Smiley said...

Thanks Janet. I think ***SOMEONE*** knew we didn't need 2 cats, and though I miss them now, I'm going to be just fine about it.

Willow said...

They are a beautiful pair at least they went together and should settle in to their new farm very well.

Margaret Adamson said...

These kittens are adorable and I thought your hubby was going to give in and keep them but they will enjoy the farm. Have a lovely weekend.

carol l mckenna said...

Adorable kittens and great photo! ~ Glad they have a new home and hope it all works well for them ~ Good work on your part.

Happy Weekend to you,
artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

TexWisGirl said...

glad you were able to find them a comfy home.

Kerri Farley said...

They are adorable!

Brian King said...

Cute little suckers!

S. Etole said...

They look like great friends for one another. Cute photo.

Ela said...

What sweet kitten :)) Lovely photo :))
Have a nice weekend :))

Gunilla B├Ąck said...

Adorable kittens. I'm so happy you found a home for them. I don't understand how people can abandon their animals.

bailey-road.com said...

How wonderful that you found a home for those two little sweeties!

retriever said...

They are adorable, greeting from Belgium

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Wonderful job of taking these cuties in and finding them a farm to live on.

Hurrah!
~

Marie said...

People are so uncaring to drop animals off! Glad you got to visit with the two little sweeties before you found them a new home. It sounds like the perfect place for them!

Felicia said...

I thought for sure Don was gonna let you keep them.

sweet kittens.

Lisa Gordon said...

They are truly so precious, Connie. I am glad you were able to find them a good home.

Christa atCedarmereFarm said...

What a sweet story. Those cats are absolutely adorable. I am glad you found them a good home.

Marco Luijken said...

Hello Connie,
Good for them to have a new place.

Kind regards,
Marco

Terri said...

That is wonderful that you found forever homes for the kitties. It upsets me so bad when people take their responsibilities and dump them on others. I would venture to say that this is exactly what is wrong with our country today.

Hannah said...

Such cute kittens, the orange one with matching orange eyes is darling, and the other also. I'm glad to hear they found a home.

Jennifer Richardson said...

sad to think someone could be so callous to abandon animals,
but glad they sensed a loving end would come to these kitties
by leaving them on your doorstep.
thanks for loving and caring like you do....yours is a generous beauty of a heart:)
-Jennifer

Anita Johnson said...

I love that you were able to find homes for them...such cute faces!

Mary Cromer said...

You did a good thing, a very good thing and happy they will remain together on their farm~

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

they are so adorable :)