Friday, June 5, 2015

Eternity





Have you ever had one of those “glimpse of heaven” moments? The trigger may have been something as simple as clouds parting to reveal a patch of clear blue sky, or light streaming through an open window, and for a split second, you’ve ached for heaven.

Those moments can be brief and unexpected, and characterized by something close to pure joy, and then maybe there’s a small catch in your throat, and you’re left with an ache for more. I think that’s what C.S. Lewis was referring to when he said, "Our best havings are wantings".

The Bible gives us glimpses of eternity in word pictures, using things we already know and love, to give us a glimpse of the unknown. Let’s consider a few of them:




BROAD VISTAS




Your eyes will see the King in His beauty, and view a land that stretches afar.

Isaiah 33:17




WATER




...the Lord will rule there as our mighty King.
Rivers and wide streams will flow through it...

Isaiah 33:21





 

"I am the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the End.
To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the springs of the water of life."

Revelation 21:6





LIGHT




There will be no more night.
They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, 
for the Lord God will give them light.

Revelation 22:5






TREES




On each side of the river stood the tree of life,
bearing twelve crops of fruit, 
yielding its fruit every month.
And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations.

Revelation 22:2





PEACE




"The wolf and the lamb will feed together,
and the lion will eat straw like the ox, and dust will be the serpent's food.
They will neither harm nor destroy on all my holy mountain," says the Lord.

Isaiah 65:25







Though heaven may be mysterious, God never intended the way to heaven to be a mystery. On one of Jesus' last days on earth, He had a conversation with His disciples about heaven, and Thomas voiced what a lot of people wonder about:

"Lord, we don't know where You are going, so how can we know the way?"

Jesus answered:
"I am the way and the truth and the life.
No one comes to the Father except through Me."

John 14:5, 6







I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God,
so that you may know that you have eternal life.

1 John 5:13






Then will the eyes of the blind be opened
and the ears of the deaf unstopped.
Then will the lame leap like a deer,
and the mute tongue shout for joy.
Water will gush forth in the wilderness
and streams in the desert.

Isaiah 35:5, 6



34 comments:

Sharon K said...

Amen!
And how amazing Heaven will be with the Savior there.
I can't wait.

marygems said...

Such a beautiful post I had to share it with almost everyone I know!

Thank you !!

Margaret Adamson said...

A beautiful and inspiring post with scriptures linked up with fabulous photographs. I do a Sunday Thought every week posting one scripture and one of my photos to illustrate that scripture. I have taken a note of some of your scriptures and hope someday to use my own photos to illustrate them. Thanks for sharing and may God bless you.

eileeninmd said...

What a lovely post and message. The images are just beautiful. Have a happy weekend!

Lisa Gordon said...

Sure looks like Heaven to me!
These are gorgeous images, Connie.
Have a great weekend!

Felicia said...

Thanks so much for the beautiful post and the reminder of what heaven will be.

My load has been heavy lately so this encouraged me a little bit.

Your images are magnificent too.

Ana Mínguez Corella said...

Stunning pictures.. Great work..

Kavics said...

Wunderschön, die Farben, wie ein Zauberei!
Gratulation! <3

Marco Luijken said...

Hello Connie,
What a fantastic shots. So amazing to see the wonderful skies.
And so great to colors of shot 9.
A very beautiful post. Really amazing!!

Many greetings,
Marco

bailey-road.com said...

Such a beautiful and inspiring post.

Gunilla Bäck said...

Gorgeous photos! There is so much beauty around us. Have a great week, Connie!

ladyfi said...

Wow - your shots are stunning!

Kelly said...

Thank you from a weary and heavy heart that you just made lighter.

Jennifer Richardson said...

Oh my heart!
Soaking it in, Connie.
Just soaking it in deep and full.
So freeing, these images.
Thank you for this beautiful gift.
-Jennifer

jandi said...

incredible images! x

Tamar SB said...

these are stunning!!

Romi C said...

Your photos are exquisite.
They are like beautiful picture postcards.

Amy Franks said...

yes I quite agree with you, what an amazing photo you caught :-)

Jim said...

Beautiful collection of photos.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Some award-winning photos here! Really beautiful work.

Gayle said...

I really like the C.S. Lewis quote.
Lots of color in your photos.

ladyfi said...

Wow - magical and utterly stunning!

Joyful said...

Absolutely enjoyed your photos and the verses to go with them. Just stunning. Blessings. xx

HOOTIN ANNI said...

All I can say is WOW

I am in awe.

Kim Cunningham said...

These were such a visual treat! Gorgeous images. That first one is stunning.

fredamans said...

Breathtaking collection!

Light and Voices said...

Lovely post.
JM, IL

Karen Del Tatto said...

I'd say this blog post was a little bit of Heaven in and of itself!

I loved the beautiful pictures and the accompanying Scripture verses.

Thank you for encouraging my heart today! :-)

pattisjarrett said...

Lovely photos. Broad Vistas and Light are exceptionally appealing to me.

Mary Cromer said...

Heaven touching earth with the beauty of His creation. Your captures of His splendor are just amazing, and beautiful and sweetly shared with His Word. Happy I did not miss these~

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Breathtaking photos :)

Anita Johnson said...

What a beautiful post to read as I end my day...thank you.

Anita Johnson said...

What a beautiful post! I often think of heaven...your scriptures were a good reminder of God's promises to us!

pens and needles said...

Somehow, I missed this post when it was made. But I know why -- because I needed to see it TODAY, not last June. Absolutely gorgeous photos with entirely appropriate and encouraging words to go with them. Thank you for sharing such beauty and insight with your fortunate followers.