Thursday, March 24, 2016

Trapped!





I just wanted walk out the front door like a normal person, shake out my dust cloth, and come back in. 
A glance out the windows to the east told me that the front door wasn't a good choice.





A large Eastern Wild Turkey gobbler was strutting not far from the house.
He stepped into the sunlight, his beard and tail feathers catching the sun's first light as he pivoted slowly, 
dragging his wing feathers on the ground...




 ...every move calculated to impress the hens.




It didn't seem to be working, and he paused for a bite to eat before resuming his display. 
Little does he know how he impacts his audience behind the windows.

Turkeys have an acute sense of sight and hearing, and Don and I often find ourselves sneaking around the house in the mornings, 
even ducking below the windows to avoid their sharp eyes, and speaking in whispers when they are near the house.




Not wanting to disturb the show, I thought I might go out the back door, but to the west a chorus line was forming up. 
Their short, stubby beards identified the participants as jakes, probably just under a year old, 
but they already know the steps of this dance as if they had been practicing for years.

So basically, I was trapped indoors. 
As if that isn't enough, as of late, we can't walk down the driveway without three pair of wood ducks taking off from the pond in swift flight, 
complaining loudly about the disruption. 
They've been here for a little over a week, and we hope one of the pairs, at least, will nest here.




Don't get me wrong; I'm not looking for sympathy here. 
The turkeys tend to make their way slowly around the house, walking in and out of the woods, so I'll make my break when they're out of sight. 
If I've learned anything during my time in the Ozarks, it's this: 
being trapped isn't all bad, and the dust cloth can wait.


Linking with Saturday's Critters
and Wild Bird Wednesday

20 comments:

Gayle atMuldoon said...

Absolutely wonderful photos and narration!

Cathy H. said...

Your images are stunning! How nice that they posed in the morning light for you! Sorry you were trapped!

Margaret Adamson said...

Stunningimages adn not a badway tobe trapped. Have a HAPPY EASTER.

Jens Hamn said...

an animal that is rarely seen!
very beautiful, even if it seems to come from another planet!

Ranten said...

What a wonderful sight to wake up to! Here it is the cat that sits outside the window and want to come inside of the house. Beautiful pictures of a fantastic bird!

Lisa Gordon said...

They are gorgeous, Connie, and so HUGE!
Wishing you a blessed Easter.

Sharon K said...

Lovely! Does Barley feel trapped too?
A blessed Easter to you and Don!

Joyful said...

Wow! The hens may not be too impressed. But I am, lol. I've never seen such a display. The plumage is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, how cool to see the turkeys outside your door. They are strutting and displaying their best. Awesome collection of photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy weekend! Wishing you and your family a Happy Easter!

Brian King said...

Wow! Those are fantastic photos! You are very fortunate!

Terri @ Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Wow- lucky you! They are a sight to behold, but I understand having to sneak around and be quiet to not run them off.

Madge Bloom said...

Wow, is all I can say... what a glorious sight! Have a blessed resurrection celebration my friend...

Jennifer Richardson said...

They're brilliant! I never realized how colorful their feathers.
Gorgeous birds. I imagine the season is pretty short
before they head back into the woods, yes?
Glad the Lord gave you a heart to see and share.
I feel all the richer:) Thanks:)
-Jennifer

Ana Mínguez Corella said...

Splendid!!! Happy Easter to you and your family..

pattisjarrett said...

What a wonderful display! You captured it beautifully. I hope the Wood Ducks stay around, too, for future photo ops. :D

bettyl-NZ said...

What a wonderful sight to behold! Your photos are really great.

Kerri Farley said...

Oh wow! A Great Way to be 'trapped'! Fantastic captures! I hope you had a nice Easter!!

Stewart M said...

What great birds - I would love to see them like this. I have only see two in my life - both of them running across the road!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Chris Rohrer said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!!! That is a classic turkey view!!! I like the backlighting on your photos. Looks like a great place to bird as well!

Jeanne said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE these shots! They are just gorgeous Connie! We have turkeys at our cabin, but never are they close enough for me to photograph. You really have some prize shots here.