Thursday, August 11, 2011

Don't Wake the Caterpillars



The butterfly milkweed thrived in our flower garden in June.



The blossoms are gone now, and a troop of fuzzy little caterpillars discovered the plant, and ate every last leaf, until they were left clinging to bare stalks.  I felt sorry for the hungry things, so yesterday I transferred them all to a milkweed plant on the other side of the house.  Maybe I did it as penance for the 57 green tomato hornworms I killed with a scissors one year. I still shudder to think of it. Anyway, I think they were grateful (the fuzzy ones, that is) and they're getting settled into their new digs.

Last night, the nearly full moon lit puffy white clouds overhead, and from the pond, frogs sang at the top of their lungs.


                                                     Quiet, you bullfrogs
                                             don't wake the caterpillars
                                                     asleep 'neath the moon.




11 comments:

S. Etole said...

The colors in that top photo are stunning.

Catherine Fruisen said...

... as is the sweetness of your heart. Simply stunning.
love to you ~ c

pens and needles said...

Agree with both those other comments! It seems to have been a stellar year for flutterbys!

lisa said...

What a wonderful photograph this is Connie!
Such gorgeous colors.

Thank you so much for sharing this at The Creative Exchange this week.

Have a wonderful day!

lisa.

Pat said...

Lovely photos and I love your poem!

Pam said...

Gorgeous shots! No matter how hard I try I can never get good shots of butterflies. This makes me wanna keep trying! :)

august2011 said...

I felt guilty drowning an earwig in cooking oil today. Thought they drowned in water, but found out they can swim after all, so tried out some stale oil and bingo. Felt really cruel though.
Like your orangy pictures.

Jan said...

just beautiful, I love your thoughts

olivia said...

these are beautiful, i love all your words!!

Jennifer Richardson said...

unbearably beautiful shots
..such a wonderful feast for
my eyes and soul.
thank you,
Jennifer

Jeanne Klaver said...

You are amazing...such a big heart. Your photos are amazing, too!