Monday, August 8, 2011

Longing For Rain


















It was hot yesterday, 

in a string of so many hot days it was impossible to remember winter.  

At the pond, the air was alive with dragonflies, 

zipping back and forth like errant kites on a string, seemingly energized by the heat.

  Hummingbirds, too, were active, massing at the feeders morning and evening.



This morning early,

clouds cover the sky and a rare breeze blows from the north,

cooling the air and bringing the vultures out to soar overhead.  

A patch of blue opens in the dark sky,

and I long for heaven.

In the meantime, we long for rain.
                                        



15 comments:

Ruth said...

Hi there! This is a beautiful post, the top photo is especially wonderful. It makes me feel peaceful looking at it ;)

Catherine Fruisen said...

gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. love you, Connie.

Hope said...

wonderful captures

lisa said...

What beautiful photographs these are Connie. I especially love that gorgeous sky! We will be getting some rain here this wee, and it is badly needed. Hope you get some soon also!

Thank you so much for sharing these today at The Creative Exchange.

Have a wonderful day!

lisa.

august2011 said...

Hiya Connie,
Thank goodness the squirrels are gone and I can come back to visit :-)
Remember the fly :-)?
I am a fussy visitor.
Love that sky and wish I could see those dragonflies and hummingbirds.
Are those really vultures?
Scary.

Connie Smiley said...

Hiya Joco- yes, those are real vultures, and I'd hate to think how scary it would look around here without their cleanup service.

tw3 said...

Hi again,
Don't worry: tw3 is still going, if they finally open the linky list this evening. You might like it today.

Katie said...

Oh, wouldn't a week of good steady rain be SOO nice? I had a buzzard follow me on a run recently---made me a bit nervous! ; )

I love that top photo, it's so delicate and fragile looking.
Thanks for the visit today, hope you have a happy Monday!

Nick said...

Gorgeous photographs here Connie! Thank you so much for your comment!

Linda Makiej said...

really wonderful dragonfly shot!!

Sara said...

Just beautiful, great capture and the greens are so lovely in the background too!

Pat said...

Lovely, summery dragonfly shot and a dramatic sky with vultures! Great work!

missing moments said...

Great capture and angle of the dragonflies! Wish I could push towards you some rain!

One said...

I love dragonflies and you have a gorgeous looking one here.

Dyche Designs said...

Dragonflies are so beautiful, I always smile when I see them. Stunning sky photo too.