Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Two Lambs






Each year about this time, the first Christmas decoration to come out of our cupboard is this small pewter figurine of Mary and the baby Jesus with a little lamb at her side.  I've had it for 30 some years; having found it on a sale table at a bookstore for $5.  On the underside is stamped Concord pewter, and on the back, the signature Walli.

I've thought about that sculptor over the years, who managed to tell so much with so little; those simple lines show a Mother's devotion to the baby snuggling softly in her arms.

I love this little figurine, but more than that, I love the story it tells, of God who became a human being, who became a baby, to reach us, those children He loves.


"I came so they can have real and eternal life,
 more and better life than they ever dreamed of."

  Jesus, from John 10:10







For a collection of artful images, 
check out Texture Tuesday
or click the button below for The Creative Exchange.






16 comments:

Rohit Sareen said...

i totally loved the softness in this shot! and lovely lines to go in the last para.

Cheers,
My Third Eye

Mridula said...

Lovely sculpture and a lovely story to go with it.

lisa said...

Connie, the pewter figurines are beautiful, and this photograph is amazing! I would love to see this enlarged and hanging on a wall at Christmas.

Thank you so much for sharing at The Creative Exchange this week.

Have a wonderful day!

lisa.

S. Etole said...

So much strength and story in these simple figurines.

hannah said...

Somewhere in my mind floats the thought that I have read a blog, one of our group of regulars, and the author had a German mother who made these tiny sculptures. If only I could remember the name of the blogger. They have been around quite a long time I believe.
Maybe somebody else will remember.

Pat said...

This is beautiful, Connie!

Jennifer Richardson said...

Something about spirit taking on form
that our senses can embrace
opens our hearts all the more
to the Love shining so bright
over us all.
I think that's why I love art so much.
Thanks for this beautiful,
beautiful share:)
-Jennifer

Beatrice at English Country Cottage said...

Oh, I love this little set of figurines, Connie! What a beautiful Scripture to go with the photo. Thank you for sharing.... this was encouraging to me!

Amarie said...

What a treasure! Thanks so much for visiting. :)

kareninkenai said...

this is beautiful and lovely enlarged to view the passage a bit better; thanks so much. {visiting from TT}

Light Trigger said...

beautifuly done! what a simple and pretty photo!


Light Trigger: our entry

Betty Manousos@ Cut and Dry said...

i totally love that precious figurine.
thanks so much for sharing!

i loved this post!

missing moments said...

Beautiful and such a lovely shot.

Seraphina´s Phantasie said...

This is so simple and so beautiful. Amazing !

Jacqueline @ Deeprootsathome.com said...

Good Morning, Connie! I love the wonderful tradition of putting up the Nativity. Soon I plan to share the faces of the ones my parents gave us years ago! Thank you for your story of finding them.

Lisa said...

I'm slowly getting the house Christmas-fied! I also have a few decorations that are very meaningful to me. A very happy Advent season to you and yours.