Saturday, December 31, 2011

Silver Lining




We lost 2 oak trees this week, or the best part of them, anyway.

Wednesday, 3 men came with a bucket truck and cut down the top two thirds of a couple of trees that were too close to the house.

One of them, half of a double trunked tree, had lifted its leafy fingers to the sky for years,
and now what's left of it seems sad and bare.




Texture by Kim Klassen



Don says a tree is almost never cut down without revealing something else,
and around here, that's usually more trees.

I appreciated the wisdom of this theoretically, but every time I glanced at the tree,
I could only see what wasn't there.

In the evening, Don went to bed before me.
I sat in a quiet house writing a letter, Barley curled up sleeping on the pad at my feet.
Christmas lights still twinkled from the little tree on the dining room table,
and out of the window to the southwest,
the crescent moon made a smileyface over the lake.

The letter finished, Barley and I padded off to the bedroom. 
From out of the window to the east, low in the dark sky, Orion winked at me, and I paused mid-step.  
I had never seen Orion from that window before. Then I remembered the tree. 
There was something hiding behind it after all.




























I drifted off into a dream of summer with new leaves,
and branches growing strong and reaching their fingers to the clouds.

In the meantime, I'll be appreciating my new view of Orion in the night sky.



27 comments:

Al said...

Nice shots. I wish we had more trees around our house, but I guess then we wouldn't have our views. Happy New Year!

Pat said...

A beautifully written post!

Mama Zen said...

Gorgeous shots!

Jewaicious said...

Lovely photos, serene and filled with nature's beauty...even the first one holds its own beauty.

Rajesh said...

Fantastic shots.
Wish you Happy and Prosperous New Year.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Beautiful images, beautifully written. Happy new Year Blessings. One never sees beyond the branches, unless we move through them, or when they are removed, it is like a new world born;)

thomas said...

Lovely cloud in the second shot.

Hope said...

lovely words.. and feelings you portray.. sorry about the tree.. I always feel sad a little upset when I see a tree cut down..but like you said.. there was something hiding behind the tree.. that now you will be able to see and enjoy.. guess it was time for the tree to revel its secret..

Lui said...

Just passed by to say that I love your favorite TCE link to your Sunflowers in September.

We trim our trees every year and they seem to love it. Maybe because they also needed to have their flashy selves within our property ;-)

Rohit Sareen said...

that's amazing...don's words turned out right :)

lovely shots these n kim's texture are fab!

have a lovely 2012.

Cheers,
My Third Eye

Tiffany said...

Lovely post...I always hated when a tree had to come down on our property:) Here is looking to Spring.

Tiffany

Lisa said...

We have a few trees that suffered severe storm damage. But they are coming back very nicely. I'm glad you found something good to replace our broken tree until it heals.

Angie said...

How beautiful your story of the tree is. I'm glad you got to capture it with your camera before they cut off its branches. And, too, I'm glad something else has showed up in its absence for you, to remember your it by.

Incredible photograph.

hannah said...

Trees may be lovely, but they cost an arm and a leg when they need the attention of tree surgeons.
That shortened limb: if it is going to stay, may I respectfully suggest a climbing rose up and over it? I'm thinking "Constance Spry". Not remontant, but if it is happy, it will give a terrific show. I'm not a D.A. fan, but this is one of his earliest and best.
Happy star gazing :-)

Nadege, said...

There is something so special about trees that it is sad when one has to be cut down.
Lovely images.

Teresa said...

Beautiful images and what a beautiful piece of writing . . .I've really enjoyed my visit, Happy Tuesday, Teresa xx

Suzanne Carter said...

Lovely images and a great post, thanks for sharing. Blessings and a happy new year from New Zealand
Suzanne

withywindlenatureprograms.com said...

I love your second photo! The texture really sets off the sunset. And your post was lovely, thanks for sharing!

Sivinden said...

Lovely photos and poetic words.

Hilda R.B said...

Wow, a dreamy post. Beautiful tree with great texture.
Have a nice week to you.
Greetings from Hilda

lisa said...

I absolutely love your textured image Connie. It is really beautiful.

Our neighbors lost an oak tree last week. To a woodpecker. I never realized just how much damage they could do, and this one had been "working on" this tree for some time, but finally the bottom of the tree was all but gone, so the city workers came to cut it down.

S. Etole said...

I see Orion through my bedroom window each night. For some reason, it's very reassuring.

jewaicious said...

Lovely photos and contrasts. When one life has moved on, another life force replaces it.

hannah said...

Roses have a will of their own. If this Connie likes you, she will eclipse Orion :-)

Kathy said...

It always amazes me how a texture application can completely transform a photo OR enhance it. Beautiful captures.

Kathy

geetlee said...

A lovely post, some very profound thoughts here. It makes me reflect on my life.
Loved the use of Kim's texture.
Thanks for sharing.

Jacqueline @ Deeprootsathome.com said...

Connie, I am your latest 'follower'!! I am missing you stopping by. Hoping you are well. Thanks for that sweet email!! I am thankful we have the whole Bible!