Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Sunflower Star


Recently one of my friends gave me a few dried sunflowers, and they've been put to good use.   Behind the house, a squirrel has been eating the seeds from one of them, and a Carolina Wren is using the cavity of a curled seed head as a winter shelter.  I also hung one on the front door, and my husband, Don, who will never be accused of being a traditionalist, said it looked better than a wreath.  Somehow I sensed it was less than a ringing endorsement.



























Saturday I was outside cleaning up the flower garden, when the phone rang, and I went dashing inside to answer it, slamming the door behind me.  I heard a thud, and when I went I got off the phone, I went back out to find that the sunflower had fallen off the door, spilling about half of the seeds on the porch.

The seeds that remained gave me an idea, and here you have it.  My simple celebration of sunflowers and stars and Christmas, all rolled into one.

I intend to leave it up until after Christmas or until some woodpecker or nuthatch discovers it, that is, as long as I can remember not to slam the door.




Linking with Teach Me Tuesdays


18 comments:

soozeedoozee said...

Wonderful photo and processing. Very clever star.

Julie Legg Photo said...

Wow! I LOVE your dried sunflower with the star of seeds. Great idea. I am behind on this 12 Days of Texture!!

Jeanne said...

I think that is simply awesome, and what a perfect idea!

Jeannelle said...

What a great idea! Good thing you slammed the door!

Deanna said...

Your door slamming was serendipitous for you to make this beautiful symbol of Christmas.

Linda Trine said...

So pretty! what a great idea!

Michelle @ Liturgical Time said...

I love this. It serves as a wonderful symbol of the transitions between seasons. Beautiful!

hannah said...

And there was me thinking you had artistic squirrels about :-)

Very good improvement on wreaths. Looks fab on your door.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

That is a wonderful idea. I only hope the squirrels do not find it, for they will be climbing up your door, leaving scratches
behind;~(. The birds shall adore your gift though~

Jennifer Richardson said...

Love! love! love!
sunflowers speaking:)
-Jen

Seraphina´s Phantasie said...

Wow, what for a wonderful idea. So creative and so beauty.
And yes, I´m playing flute.

Pat said...

Best door decoration!

lisa said...

Connie, you are amazing!
This is absolutely GORGEOUS!!

Barb said...

Love this so much!

June Scott said...

LOL! love it, Connie!

Arija said...

Some of the nicest things happen by accident. A lovely Christmas decoration and incentive to close the door softly. Who knows, maybe there is someone nearby to whom a slamming doer is like a gunshot and whatever the powers that are, are trying to teach you to close the doors gently, maybe not to scare away the nuthatches .

Madge @ The View From Right Here said...

Fabulous! I'm going to try to remember this and do one next year!

Merike said...

So gorgeous. I always love different work of art. So nice to my eyes :)