Friday, September 7, 2012

Thankful For Clouds






Yesterday morning I talked with a friend who had recently moved from Portland, OR,

 to Detroit, MI, and, of all things, she missed the clouds.

I would, too.



The sky here started rumbling in the afternoon while I was picking raspberries.

I hurried to finish, and when I got inside, the first fat drops of rain were hitting the patio.

Wind whipped the trees and the rain intensified, slanting in sideways from the west,

hitting the windows like a car wash.







It rained hard for about an hour,

and when it was over, I went to the lake to watch the sky.

The sun had just opened a window in the clouds,

lighting a rainbow on the opposite horizon.

The vault of the heavens, so recently a flat blue void,

was filled with clouds, each unique in form,

complemented with splashes of color.




I stayed there watching, thanking God for this gift of life,

so fragile and beautiful,

 grateful to see the sky, to feel the rain-washed air,

and thankful for clouds.



 



I stayed until the rainbow faded into a wash of green and purple...






...then disappeared, replaced by glowing orange.




 How great is God--

beyond our understanding!

Who can understand how he spreads out the clouds, 

how he thunders from his pavilion?

Job 36:26, 29







Linking with Skywatch Friday


22 comments:

Kerri said...

Oh my....... They are stunning!

TheChieftess said...

Stunning!!! My fav is that second shot!!!

Mama Zen said...

Breathtaking!

Brian King said...

Those are fantastic! Gorgeous photos! The second one is brilliant and my favorite! Excellent work!

Pat said...

That's a great shot of the rainbow!

Sandra said...

Gorgeous cloud and sky shots, Connie.
They are all my favourite for different beautiful elements! I do love the fading rainbow in shot number three and the gorgeous orange in the last one. The two lake shots are terrific too and I love the opening in the sky and how that rainbow starts to shine!

Joyful said...

Absolutely fantastic photos! "Wow" is all I can say. Such joy in these photos.

pens and needles said...

Wow -- wonderful -- words AND photos -- wow! Thank you, Connie!

Jennifer Richardson said...

my heart jumps
at this....just wants to roll
right across the sky
tagging along
and singing love
for the hands that hold it all:)
thanks for the beautiful ponder,
Jennifer

Karen @ away for the weekend said...

So very beautiful!

Robyn said...

Beautiful pictures. My favorite is the second one. Just stunning. Glad you got some rain and have a wonderful weekend.

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

Wow, such a wonderful beautiful day from start to finish. Loved all of them.

Susan said...

These pictures are simply stunning.

What a demomstration of the glory of God!!

Hope you have a blessed Sunday...♥

Lighthousegal said...

Amazing photos! Each one is beautiful. Clouds are awesome and make such wonderful photos. The rainbow shot is truly amazing with the color, the clouds and the stillness and beauty of the entire scene. Nice Job!
Happy Sunday!

Marissa @Life On Our Mountain said...

What beauty God has given us!

Wonderful, beautiful photos!

Karen said...

I love how you captured everything...the blue sky, the approaching storm and the rainbow! All in one photo!!

Pieces of Sunshine said...

Amazing and beautiful skies! The geography of your area must encourage great skies.

ArtMuseDog and Carol said...

Definitely awe inspiring ~ Fantastic photos of nature's majestic skies ~ even a rainbow ~ What a gift! ~ (A Creative Harbor)

Nancy Claeys said...

So many different colors and sights in such a short time. Beautiful!

Madge Bloom said...

WOW, what a gorgeous shot... you should put it on a calendar!

Cheryl said...

I love with the sky goes through so many transitions in such a brief span of time. Really gorgeous colors and super shots.

Heather said...

WOW those are Stunning! I manage to always get the tail end of the rainbow and I blink and it's gone.