Saturday, November 24, 2012

Back From the Brink





On Thanksgiving morning, a loud thump on the kitchen window drew our attention from the breakfast table to the young tufted titmouse that had just crashed and hit the deck.  His rapid wing flaps made us think he wasn't long for this world.  I grabbed a jacket and hurried out, scooping the poor thing up and trying to will him to live.

Our relationship with the tufted titmice at our place has had a bit of a checkered history. They always delighted us until last spring, when they robbed nesting material from the Carolina wren's nest on the front porch, and caused the wrens to move away.  After that, we looked at the marauding titmice in a somewhat different light.  Real life doesn't always follow the Walt Disney script.







When the fledglings came along--four wide-eyed darlings who spent their mornings near our kitchen window, entertaining us with their camaraderie and frequent trips from tree to feeder, they quickly won our hearts back.  After all, who doesn't love babies?






That morning, I held the fallen titmouse for a long time, and when I could no longer justify postponing the Thanksgiving dinner preparations, I put out a warming cloth, and on top of it, shaped an old towel into a makeshift shelter for the little one.

I kept checking back during the morning, and the last time I looked, the little bird was gone. It seemed to be a hopeful sign.  Sure enough, for the next two mornings, all four of the small siblings have been at the feeder, and they are all so active, it is impossible to know which one of them was hurt.

When we were sitting on the deck, me in a chair, and the baby bird in my hand, we had a little talk, and I told him not to ever rob another bird's nesting material, and to come and visit me when he got better.

I hope he remembers.



Linking with Wild Bird Wednesday





20 comments:

Sandra said...

Connie,
What adorable pictures and sweet story of the young tufted titmouse. I love his little 'tuft'! I'm so glad that the story turned out happily for him and a relief for you!
No, real life doesn't always follow the Walt Disney script, even for human beings!
All these photos are glorious! I love the one of the bird holding a berry in his beak and that towel shot is so cosy looking!

Sharon K said...

Connie-
I so love the last picture of the little waif nestled in the towel.
Our Thanksgiving was graced with several waifs as well... the human kind. I guess it was a good day to be attentive and kind to all of God's creatures.

Horst in Edmonton said...

Hi Connie, so glad that you got at the little fellow before a cat got there. Nice to hear the little guy got better and resumed his normal routine. Have a great Sunday.

Ana Mínguez Corella said...

Ohhh.. Son cute.. Very nice pictures.. Cheers!!!..

Captain Shagrat said...

Nice story complete with happy ending. Did you bath this little guy and quiff up his head feather for the picture;-)

Barb said...

How sweet! Great photos!

Kathy said...

Sweet story. I watched two titmice out our kitchen window the other day either fighting or playing. I never fully decided what exactly they were doing.

Nancy Claeys said...

A sweet story. I just rescued a meadowlark from one of our cats. Not sure if it will make it but moms must do what moms must do. :)

Jennifer Richardson said...

Connie, your story
and photos have toasted my heart
so warm and cozy
and I'm a little undone
by the love:)
thanks for sharing the beauty
of your stunning life,
Jennifer

Jill c",) said...

How adorable! So cute:) I really like your pitcture:))

Have a nice week:))

Dina J said...

Over the top cute shots! Amazing that you have this little family in your yard.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Oh so sweet a story. I felt the same way about Grackles and Blue Jays and then cared for 2 injured birds at different levels, differnt stages. Once you care for one of His creatures, it is like touching the hand of God...one gains a totally different thought process, then they had before~

Red Nomad OZ said...

None of these little beauties downunder, so it's nice to see them despite their reputation as cruel marauders! Hope they take your advice!!!!

Stewart M said...

Glad the bird pulled through - I liked the Walt Disney line.

We had a similar "bird v window" event this weekend - but the window was the winner! One blackbird less in Melbourne.

Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW - Stewart M - Melbourne.

mick said...

Great photos and such a cute little bird. I'm glad it survived.

Larry said...

I love happy endings! Nice story and great photos Connie!

Jeanne said...

So glad you saved that sweet little bird, and I know he will remember your talk!

Les Fous du Cap said...

Very beautiful story ;-)
Céline & Philippe

Dave said...

A lovely story... and outcome. Regarding the nesting material and the Wrens moving out: Its hard not to get involved with nature but its always best to let the species get on with it...

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

Oh, such a sweet story. Our cat caught a hummingbird late in the season, but I saw her when she caught it and chased her down in the yard to make her release it. It fell to the ground and I quickly picked it up. I could feel its little heart beating, but it laid limply in my hand. I couldn't put it away in a cold tree, so I held it, giving it warmth and maybe some comfort when it died. After several minutes, there was a little flicker and it's head turned to look around. I slowly opened my hand and it flew away. I love good endings. :D