Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Anticipation


From my vantage point at the kitchen window this morning, I watch a small feather as it hangs over the front porch, then floats out over the yard, catching an updraft, and drifts toward the sky.  I wonder idly if it was from a Carolina wren.  They've been out of sight the last couple of days after some intensive nest building last week.
































The site the birds have chosen is one they have used before, an old fishing creel, hanging from a pillar on the front porch, clearly visible from the window over our kitchen sink.  The top of the basket has a Carolina-wren sized hole, which makes a perfect entrance for those little bundles of energy.  This year, they've decorated it with dried flowers.





Both of the birds were involved in the building project.  
They flitted from the bricks to the wood pile, 
which was only a short hop from their home site.






Last year, the two of them started in on this nest, and it was derailed by the titmice, but the way the wrens were going at it last week, it looked like they had put all of that behind them.

I've told myself that I wasn't going to count my wrens before they hatched this year.  Still, I catch myself figuring; the incubation period is 12-16 days, and the young leave the nest 12-14 days after they are hatched.  It's possible, if everything goes well, that we could see fledglings, at the earliest, on April 29th.






In the meantime, 
I need to reign in my expectations and be grateful for each day's wonders, 
like the little feather floating up to the sky, 
destination unknown.






29 comments:

Lisa Gordon said...

They sure do look busy, Connie, and what great photographs you have captured. Love watching them prepare for their little families.

Have a wonderful day!

Sandra said...

Gorgeous shots of these sweet little birds and their busy nest-making!

Steve Borichevsky said...

This is one of the birds in my yard up in Massachusetts. Unfortunately, I cannot get them to sit still long enough for a shot. These images are wonderful.

S. Etole said...

Such industrious little birds. How fun that they are close enough to watch.

Sharon K said...

Anticipation and hope... makes for a delightful way to start Spring.

HansHB said...

Lovely photos!
Nice to study!
Well done!

eileeninmd said...

Cute shots of the wren, they look busy nest building.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Awesome shots- I hope they do well.

mick said...

Great photos and how wonderful to have the birds nesting so close to you.

Anonymous said...

I love the photos. We have had these wrens the last few years and they are nesting in our porch this year. We were able to watch the fledglings test their wings in an evergreen outside our window last year, as they hopped between branches. They were gone the next day! I am glad to know some time frames on them so I can be on the lookout for the babies!

dinascitywildlife.com said...

It's great to see them building a nest. Great catch on these little guys.

pens and needles said...

I have a very high regard for folks who practice eager anticipation -- don't give it up! It's half the joy....

Karen said...

I love to wtach them nest building. Great shots!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Love the nest building photos...

Brian King said...

These are fantastic, Connie! We've had them at the feeders, but I've never seen them building a nest.

Catherine said...

What lovely images of the Carolina wren! Love your processing and textures...

Sharon Wagner said...

We know what comes next. Thank goodness it is spring!

She Who Carries Camera said...

ooh...I do hope it works out this year!

Carletta said...

A wonderful series of shots!
Love the delicious lighting in these.

Wally Jones said...

What a great opportunity to observe their progress in getting a new family started!
I love wrens and the Carolina has a really pretty song.

Bruce Clark said...

Love the shot of the bird with the basket.

Stewart M said...

Certainly a bit of homemaking going on there!

Nice spring pictures.

Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW- Stewart M - Melbourne

Lynne said...

Carolina wrens are my favorite bird of the ones that we have around our house. They have the sweetest songs and I love their chubby little bodies and upright tails. You are so lucky to have them nesting so closely that you can watch them.

Love the shots you got of the wren with twigs.

~Lynne @ a new Jersey Girl visiting from Rurality Blog Hop

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Awe got to love each moment secured in nature such as this. We have our first nest going too, but ours is inside the garage and I get no nice images from in that dark place. Maybe when they have fledged, I shall have to help them like last year, escape the huge garage.

Neil said...

Great to have them so close hope you get to see the young when they hatch.

Cindy said...

Fantastic post and photos. I've yet to get a really good shot of a Carolina Wren. Happy weekend.

Jennifer Richardson said...

your photos are genuinely delicious, connie.
thank you for sharing the
wonderful happenings of your
feathered friends,
Jennifer

ladyfi said...

These shots are superb!

Rebecca said...

Great post and wonderful photos - of my favorite bird! Those little wrens are so full of personality... I hope that soon you'll have photos of the fledglings to share :)