Monday, May 27, 2013

Fuel Crisis




My pulse quickened as I glanced at the indicator on my gas gauge, sitting in the red just above the big E. I had overshot the greenhouse I'd been looking for, and now, I realized, I needed to find a gas station. Soon. It wasn't like I was in danger; it was full daylight on a well traveled stretch of highway in north central Arkansas, in about as friendly of a place as you would ever find. Still, who wants the inconvenience and embarrassment of running out of gas? Before you start recalling blonde jokes, let me mention that the last time I ran out was about 1987.

I estimated that the town ahead of me was closer than the one I'd left behind, so I pressed on, praying that my fumes would carry me to Gassville. With a name like that, I figured they ought to have plenty of gas stations.

It wasn't long until I saw one. I rolled in on fumes, put more gas in my car than I thought it could hold, and got directions to the greenhouse.

On the way back, I stopped to take pictures of a dilapidated barn by the side of the highway. It shared the shade of the nearby oak trees with the cows that grazed nearby. Apparently, this old structure ran out of gas quite a while back.



Linking with Rurality Blog Hop.

Thanks to Kim Klassen for her texture, Pourvous.

13 comments:

pens and needles said...

Beautiful old barn -- something I always am looking for in the landscape --

Sharon said...

Lovely! So glad you found this lovely place to share with us.

S. Etole said...

Beautiful view.

My pulse gets a little rapid if I think I'm low on gas! Glad you made it safely.

Lui said...

Haha, that happened to me on a heavy traffic road and I prayed for a miracle. It always worked ;)

Quite a lovely shot. I can imagine living there with my hounds.

Michelle Palmer said...

Glad you made it & so glad you shared this beautiful barn with us~

Jill c",) said...

Great landscape:)

She Who Carries Camera said...

Seriously? Gassville...how ironic! Splendid editing and image!

Madge Bloom said...

How ironic that you were traveling to Gassville??? I've only come close to running out of fuel once in the last few years, thankfully when my Honda Element hits the E it still has about a half gallon of fuel and I made it to the nearest gas station! The last time I ran out of fuel was in a 40' school bus. The data sheet said it had a 100 gallon tank, so when it got down to E I just kept driving because I just 'knew' it had more fuel and the gauge must be 'off.' Then the engine began to 'lope.' So I called the garage on the radio and told them I was having mechanical problems (or so I thought) then it quit, on an uphill grade. Turns out it only had a 60 gallon tank and the mechanic chastised me saying 'You don't know how hard that bus was to start on an uphill grade!' Ah well, live and learn! BTW, I'd love to find a small country church and sing hymns with you! Thank you for joining in 'Rurality Blog Hop #16' Hope to see you next Wednesday for #17...

Pam ;) said...

Hi Connie, been there and done that myself- my heart was going pitter-patter mainly because we owned a gas station at the time =)

I love how you captured the beauty of that ole barn.

Your blog is delightful- thanks for following my blog- have a blessed day.

bailey-road.com said...

What a lovely shot!

Our Neck of the Woods said...

I'm so glad you made it to the gas station! I love the shot of the old barn an the texture on the image. I think it has run out of gas a while back!

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Bless you and oh yes, I know how that feels. About a year ago, I made sure that I wrote a note to refuel. I then took my 4 grandsons on an outing, got them safely home and then got ready to return home...the car stopped half way home. I was not even thinking fuel, I had totally forgotten. I rang up my husby called a wrecker and then got the call...out of gas, and not only did I have to fill the tank, I had to pay $70.00 for finding out, what I had forgotten;'( grumble, grumble. That old barn is really neat, glad you got that shot and hope you found some nice finds at the greenhouse~

Terri said...

I have been through Gassville! I am glad you didn't run out of gas. I haven't ever yet, but I've come sooo close that I was driving on gas fumes.