Thursday, August 1, 2013

Nine O'Clock Hero































Yesterday, as Don was leaving for work, he called to me from outside.  "What do you make of this noise?" he asked.  That was a fair question, since he left some of his hearing in VietNam.

Close by, overhead, there was a loud rhythmic sound, not quite like anything we'd heard before.  At first I suspected that something was going wrong with the garage door mechanism, but we soon realized that the sound was coming from the gutter in front of the garage.  By the time we were able to set up a ladder, the cadence of the sound had slowed, and then stopped altogether.

Don let me go first, as he held the ladder.  One glance filled in the blanks.  Inside the gutter, in a little water, a cicada was laying upside down.  The gutter had served as a sound chamber, amplifying its struggles.  I picked it up carefully and, righting it, set it free.  It flew without a backward glance.

My delight was undiminished by the lack of a thank you.  After all, how often does one get to be a hero before nine?




Note: The photo above was taken on another day, when a cicada was drying its dew-laden wings. The little thing yesterday didn't hang around long enough for a portrait.







22 comments:

bailey-road.com said...

What a lucky little critter!

Cathy H. said...

You are a life-saver! Love your shot, great focus!

Carole M. said...

nice little story; I love the cicadas - they start sounding up as it nears Christmastime in Australia.

Lisa Gordon said...

Oh my goodness, I am so glad that you were there. Some things just happen for a reason.

I absolutely love this photograph, Connie.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Brian King said...

How cool! And a beautiful photo!

Rachel said...

Wow I have to say your braver than me, No way Id have picked up a cicadas, Im such a wimp at times, I would have had to send the hubby. The photo is amazing what a great eye you have

Deanna said...

Oh you are definitely my hero, and I promise if you rescued me, I would certainly stop and say thank you.

*Manja* said...

Tolles Foto!
Liebe Grüße und schönes Wochenende,*Manja*

Sandra said...

I love the photo of the Cicada and what a lovely end to the story of your little songster!

Margaret Adamson said...

Stunning photograph. great story and good rescue.

Terri said...

Well he certainly was a lucky little dude! They are noisesome.

Jennifer Richardson said...

I love your heart:)
what a beautiful image...thanks
for stretching my world
a little wider still:)
-Jennifer

Dominique Lalonde said...

I just discovered your blog. A lot of beautiful photos. The composition of this one is very beautiful !

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Delightful photo and story. Your cicadas are a different colour to ours which are all green at this stage.

eileeninmd said...

Nice story and a beautiful image. Happy weekend to you!

Snap said...

You are a hero! The cicada is one of my favorite sounds. I haven't heard one this year -- must be because of the drought. Beautiful shot.

TexWisGirl said...

they are noisy buggers. :)

Huldra said...

Lovelly storie and a beautiful picture. It does feel good to be a hero sometimes :)

acreativeharbor.com said...

Neat post and lovely photo ~ Hugs to the heroes before nine ~ ^_^

Karen said...

A lovely shot!

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Wow! Great shot. To be in the right place at the right time. :-)
Don't be a Hippie

Kerri Farley said...

Hooray for Heroes!!!
and a lovely capture!