Saturday, April 4, 2015

Eating Crow





The commotion outside started when I was on the phone. 
I had the impression of turkeys sounding off and a cacophony of crows. 
When my conversation ended, I looked out the windows to determine the cause of the ruckus. 








It wasn't hard to find. 
The turkeys had fled, and not far off, a hawk was on the ground with a crow pinned under him. 
A murder of crows perched in the trees overhead 
and swooped down toward the hawk and their downed brother, 
trying to distract the aggressor from his victim. 
It looked bad for the crow.






At first I saw no signs of life from the form on the bottom of the heap, 
but then, suddenly, a struggle ensued. 
There was  a jumble of flapping wings and feathers with the hawk all the while on top. 
From the sound of it, they had been at this for a while. 
I know hawks are beautiful, and crows are, well, crows, but in the middle of the fight, 
strangely, I found myself rooting for the crow. 
There's something about the underdog.


As I watched, caught up in the natural drama in front of me, there was a lull in their exertion, 
both of them laying still, like a short stack of pancakes at Cookies' Restaurant. 
And then, amazingly, the crow struggled free and flew away.








It may have been my imagination, but I thought the hawk looked a bit chagrinned, 
glancing around to see if anyone had noticed. 
Then he shook himself, raised his wings, and sailed off over the trees.

It's quite possible, I suppose, that this fight was not about a meal at all, but just a brawl, 
the hawk teaching the crow a lesson. 
After all, nobody really wants to eat crow.







22 comments:

eileeninmd said...

OH no poor crow, so glad for the crow's happy ending..Connie, great series of images.. Happy Easter to you and yours! Thank you for linking up, have a happy weekend!

pens and needles said...

I wish there was a place I could vote for "Favorite blog post of the week" because this one would get my vote. It isn't just the photos, which are amazing, as always -- it's the story you wrote to go along with them. I, too, was rooting for Mr. Crow, albeit reluctantly. That last photo is gorgeous!

Felicia said...

Well i too was rooting for the crow and was happy he got away.

fantastic series Connie.

TexWisGirl said...

wow! impressive!

Gunilla B├Ąck said...

The hawk is gorgeous. Happy Easter, Connie!

carol l mckenna said...

Great shots of nature's 'survival of the fittest' ~ I couldn't watch it but they are great shots you did!

Happy Weekend to you,
artmusedog and carol

pattisjarrett said...

Amazing! Wonderful shots.

Linda M. Carmean said...

Wow! When do you sign your contract with Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom!!? The photos of this life & death struggle were amazing! I'm glad the crow got away, just hope he wasn't too badly injured. But, to capture all this with your camera...all I can say is, Wow!

Brian King said...

How cool! That's one of those things that if you blink you'll miss it. Nice shots!

Mary Cromer said...

This is such an incredible encounter Connie and amazing that the Crow was OK after talons assuredly were in the fight mix. Happy Easter~

Sharon K said...

You bring delight to the hardest of circumstances. (Great photos, as usual.) We laughed out loud when we read about Cookies pancakes! Makes us want to stop by and meet you there again for a long visit. :)

Have a blessed Easter!

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

Great photos!

I was glad the crow got away. Maybe the hawk let him go since he would have had to deal with the murder of crows that was the victim crow's want-to-be rescuers.

I have read studies about how very highly intelligent crows are and what keen memories they have. They recognize humans that have mistreated them for years afterward.

Happy Easter!

Margaret Adamson said...

Fantastic captures. HAPPY EASTER.

Lisa Gordon said...

I am so glad the crow was okay. :-)
The last photo here is absolutely beautiful, Connie.
Happy Eater to you.

bailey-road.com said...

What an awesome sequence. That's a lucky crow.

Andrew Fulton said...

I have Sparrowhawks in my garden now and again grabbing birds from my feeders... it's shocking to see at first but the fact you've witnessed nature in action (the hawk has to eat to) takes over after a while.

Adam Jones said...

Poor Crow. I know it's nature, but it's always so hard to watch anything like that. Great images.

Lea said...

Great series of photos!

Mei Ann Guerrero said...

great capture!

Adventures of a Novice Mum said...

Wow, what a drama to behold in the world of the birds! What ending to it too; I was convinced the crow was a gonner ... you're a good storyteller. Fabulous captures. #weeklytopshot

Susan (ABON) said...

Remarkable photos and story. I was rooting for the crow as well. Thank you for sharing!

Anita Johnson said...

These photos are excellent!