Thursday, January 28, 2016

Blue Skies




It was beautiful yesterday, with skies as blue as Paul Newman's eyes.

I visited the Theodosia Marina, where a mature old sycamore stands tall, its white branches bright against the sky. 
At my feet, a piece of sloughed off bark caught my attention, the back side crisscrossed with insect pathways. 

When I was a kid, my neighbor friends and I used to pretend that these were ancient maps that would tell us the way to hidden treasures.

  



We don't always get blue skies in this life, nor clear maps to guide us. 
One of my Mother's favorite songs, by Annie Johnson Flint, was "God Hath Not Promised Skies Always Blue". 
It holds great truths for any generation:


God hath not promised skies always blue,
Flower strewn pathways all our lives through;
God hath not promised sun without rain,
Joy without sorrow, peace without pain.

God hath not promised smooth roads and wide,
Swift, easy travel, needing no guide;
Never a mountain rocky and steep,
Never a river turbid and deep.

Refrain:
But God hath promised strength for the day,
Rest for the labor, light for the way,
Grace for the trials, help from above,
Unfailing kindness, undying love.




Perhaps we've found those hidden treasures, after all.


First published 1/29/11

Linking with Skywatch Friday


13 comments:

Margaret Adamson said...

And Paul Newaman certainly has blue eyes. lovely shot.

Phyllis Oller said...

beautiful,phyllis

Christine said...

It was a blessing to my own soul to read your post today & ponder the words of that lovely hymn. Isn't it all the more wonderful to look up into the blue sky & know that God has said we are His treasure! That was my devotional today Exodus 19, 5.
Thank you for sharing
Christineandhercamera.blogspot.com

Gayle atMuldoon said...

I started to drift with visions of Paul Newman's eyes but glad I continued to read you inspiring post.

Nancy said...

What a gorgeous blue sky. No God never promised everything to be blue skies and roses but thank goodness He's with us no matter the circumstances.....

Felicia said...

beautiful post Connie and lovely images to go with it. I like the bark image.

Breathtaking said...

Hello!:) Thank you for sharing the words of this beautiful hymn, the blue sky, and interesting piece of bark.

uberrhund said...

Lovely capture of the old Sycamore tree in Winter!

Lea said...

Lovely view of the tree against the beautiful sky!
I like the song, too.
Have a wonderful day!

ladyfi said...

Lovely and blue!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, lovely view of the pretty blue sky! Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

Brian King said...

Gorgeous blue!

Madge Bloom said...

I love that hymn... the old hymns really speak to my heart, mind and soul in a way the new worship music just simply cannot... that is lovely...