Monday, February 1, 2016

False Spring


It doesn't take much to get everybody's hopes up. We get a few days of nice weather, and even nature starts thinking, "Spring!" 
Yesterday, when it was still January, there was a fly and a cricket in the house, a small snake on the front porch,
and two ticks rode back from the woods on Barley. 




The trees have not capitulated to the siren song of spring yet, but some of the fields have already turned green...




 ...and the snowdrops, though always early, were swaying in a springlike breeze today.

Of course, it's only February 1st, and even if we didn't follow Kevin on channel 10, or Ron and Abby on KY3, 
we'd still know that these balmy days won't last.

About this time every year, I'm reminded of the ancient promise God gave to Noah:
“As long as the earth endures,
seedtime and harvest,
cold and heat,
summer and winter,
day and night
will never cease.” 
Genesis 8:22
The promise has never been broken, and I believe we can safely say that, sooner or later, spring will come.




Don doesn't even like to hear me breathe this prayer, but Barley and I can't help asking:
"Please, God, can we have at least one good snow first?"


Linking with Saturday's Critters,

Skywatch Friday

and Wednesday Around the World




20 comments:

Lisa Gordon said...

We've had the same here, Connie.
As a matter of fact, I cannot remember a milder winter. We've maybe had 3-4 inches of snow in total. I am kind of with Barley though...I'd love to have a real good snow!

I love these photographs, especially the last one.

pens and needles said...

Just one! One of those "easy come-easy go" ones. :)

Ana Mínguez Corella said...

Awesome pics.. Have a great week :-)))

Brian King said...

Gorgeous photos! We hit 70 today, but it's only temporary.

Sharon K said...

We have had snow on the ground since Christmas Eve... you are welcome to come over. Bring Barley! :)

Kelleyn Rothaermel said...

I love the last photo! I love the pop of orange from the dog with the red berries contrasted against the white winter back drop! Have an amazing week!
http://travelingbugwiththreeboys-kelleyn.blogspot.com/2016/02/snow-days.html

Mary Cromer said...

Oh Connie, we have had so many false starts to Spring already, we may have no Spring buds when it truly does arrive. Your images are all so pretty~

Jens Hamn said...

hi, I discovered your blog and your wonderful photos!
I can only congratulate you for your good work, i will you follow with pleasure !! Bye

Gemma Wiseman said...

Some scenic beauty here. And while your winters have a touch of spring, our summer has a touch of autumn on the Mornington Peninsula in Australia. Already leaves are turning.

Felicia said...

I agree I would like a real good snow too. love that first image and the beautiful scripture promise.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Yep, it is always best to get back to God's promises

Jim said...

Beautiful sky.
Sydney – City and Suburbs

eileeninmd said...

Hello, beautiful sky and images. I love Barley in the snow.
Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

Lea said...

Beautiful photos!
It's not too late - we might get snow

thedeezone.com said...

Wow. Have a wonderful weekend.

thehiddenpanorama.com said...

it was a nice photo of the sky...lovely

eileeninmd said...

Hello Connie, I just wanted to stop back and say thank you for linking up your cute Barley post. Have a happy weekend!

Indrani said...

Gorgeous captures. I love such snow captures!

Marie C said...

That's always been me...please just ONE good snow and then I'm done! :-)

bettyl-NZ said...

What a lovely scene. One good snow is good since it makes for great photos. After that.....