Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Southbound




Two chilly nights and southbound geese overhead have me thinking about seasonal changes. Hummingbirds are tanking up for their trip to the Yucatan. Early in the morning, and just before dark, their activity around the feeders is intense.

The sun has warmed the rocks on the south side of the house, and I lean against them, facing the feeders, which are only a few inches away. It's an excellent place to observe the small winged warriors. Supper is over, and while Don watches a spy movie, I spend the pleasant part of an hour there, absorbed by their acrobatics, their chirps and the hum of their wings. Occasionally one of them hovers just in front of my face, trying to ascertain what kind of a creature is sharing their space, and I steel myself not to flinch. Their battles over the sugar water are swift and fierce. 




They fly back and forth between the feeders and the geraniums.




In a flowerpot at my side is Firecracker Cuphea, a plant the little birds also love. They light on the springy stems, riding them down almost to the ground, then up, pendulum like, all the while pumping nectar out of the sweet purple and red blossoms. 

As the sky darkens, the chirps of the hummingbirds give way to the sounds of the night. I head inside, refreshed by the ambience of the evening. And in the spy movie, the good guys win. 







18 comments:

Felicia said...

beautiful images. our hummers are very active too.

Sharon K said...

Oh so gorgeous!! These birds are some of my favorites. I love the second photo; it take my breath away. Only God could make something so stunning!

Breathtaking said...

Hello!:) Fantastic captures of these beauties. Such an awesome sight. These beautiful hummingbirds must give you hours of pleasure.:)

Prunella Pepperpot said...

Ooh how I'd love to have hummingbirds visit my garden! Beautiful images. have a wonderful Wednesday :)

Lea said...

Beautiful birds! Wonderful photos!
And I love the sounds they make.
We usually have a lot of travelers joining our birds in September, then suddenly they are all gone, headed toward Mexico.

Mersad said...

Loved your very lively description of nature around your house. Enjoy the late summer days.

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

Brian King said...

Wow, these are gorgeous!

Judy Biggerstaff said...

I love the hummers, great photos. Hate to see them leave.

pattisjarrett said...

Look at all those hummers! Great shots.

Summer said...

Awe Such cute little birdies ♥

summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

eileeninmd said...

Hello Connie, your hummingbird images are just amazing. Beautiful captures of these sweet birds. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

Stewart M said...

Wow, those hummer shots are great, I'd love to have them in my back yard.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Marie C said...

AMAZING shots! Just stunning! What a beautiful way to spend an hour.

Ana Mínguez Corella said...

Wow!!!

I love all .. I congratulate

Anita Johnson said...

I just love these!

Jeanne said...

Connie these shots are absolutely incredible. Hard to imagine so many of them right together. We always have one which scares everyone else off.

Barb said...

Wonderful action shots of the hummers. The clarity of your photos is amazing.

Photo(Geo)grapher said...

Magnificent pic! Love it.